[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /lit/ many of you steal books? and if yes why? do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: thethiefsjournal.jpg (278KB, 655x900px) Image search: [Google]
thethiefsjournal.jpg
278KB, 655x900px
Hello /lit/ many of you steal books? and if yes why?
do you think it is morally ok? for example if the author is dead, the work is quite successful or the subject of the book is thievery?
>>
Read Crito you stupid fuck
Breaking the law, even in the face of abject tyranny or immorality, is unethical. You are a product of the exact tyranny you act against; to consider yourself morally or ethically Correct in the face of the social contract is to admit that the social contract itself is ethically and morally sound.
>>
>>9460039
mostly agree with this post
Socrates qualifies his argument with the fact that he had the right to expatriate at any time (I see no need for such a qualification).

I think it's ethical to resist a tyrannical leader if they order you to do something that you believe is morally wrong, but by resist I mean only flatly but politely refuse. In such a case, you must accept whatever punishment you receive graciously.
>>
>>9460056
A good point.
Worth mentioning as well that even if you augment this system of ethics with Enlightenment-era political ideals about the nature of Revolution, it wouldn't justify committing petty crime.

Tl;Dr Having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card, OP.
>>
>>9460039
>You are a product of the exact tyranny you act against;

I don't think stealing a book is exactly revolting against 'Tyranny'. Sometimes I dont have enough money for a book so I take it, i dont see how its hurting anyone.
>>
>>9460082
So you admit you have no justification for the act
>I don't see how it's hurting anyone
No free lunches, someone somewhere worked to produce the copy you stole.
At least if you were pirating the material digitally you could make the argument that no invested value was lost in your doing so.
>>
>>9460117
>At least if you were pirating the material digitally you could make the argument that no invested value was lost in your doing so

Isn't that a slight double standard? Authors who put out there work on e-readers Im guessing lose a substantial amount of money due to piracy. But surely large publishing houses and who ever is inheriting sums of money from dead mens work have insurance to cover small losses through theft.
>>
>>9460142
>lose a substantial amount of money due to piracy
No they don't. Piracy is a lost-sale scenario, not theft. None of the invested value is lost the same way as it is when you steal something. You have only failed to entice your audience to purchase the product, a risk you must accept when you enter the digital market as it is inherently less insurable in that regard. That pirates can access digital material they didn't pay for more easily than thieves is frustrating but does not make their actions inherently more 'bad'
>>
>>9460004
pirating is not stealing
>>
>>9460142
Not at all. You don't lose anything, it's just a collection of bits that you can copy infinitely. If someone pirates it most likely they were not going to buy it in the first place. So due to piracy they've been exposed to something they wouldn't be exposed to. This can contribute to popularity and thus sales.

That's really not always the case, but for books it definitely is. Often people will purchase a legit version afterwards too. Sometimes just entirely because they liked the book and author enough to want to.
>>
>>9460004
I used to steal books in bulks from a grand bookstore a few years ago. I never tried to justify the act it just was a very low risk scenario and it's not like I was doing substantial damage to someone specific. I'm not letting financial difficulties or ethics hinder me in my intellectual development
>>
>>9460004

Ethics are spook. Do as you wish till you get caught.
>>
>>9460004
Steal? No.
Pirate? Possibly.
But i am shitty person.
>>
how do i steal books from my uni's library
>>
>>9460427
Not OP, but I agree with you. That's how I treat music; I pirate new albums I'm interested in and then buy then if I like them on vinyl or cd. Sometimes even cassette. Fuck man, since I started doing that my music collection has gotten huge. I used to be really picky with what I bought since I didn't want to have to return it or something; now I buy exactly what I enjoy and value and more of it. I've pre-ordered every Phil Elverum album since Ocean Roar, all because I pirated The Glow pt. 2.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.