[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to write a barebones YA/young adult novel to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Prince_Nicolas_at_Nagasaki.jpg (141KB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
Prince_Nicolas_at_Nagasaki.jpg
141KB, 1024x679px
I'm trying to write a barebones YA/young adult novel to sell on Amazon, just a potboiler, but I'm having trouble reducing it to the essentials.

My idea of fantasy is all very dense worldbuilding, like if Ernst Robert Curtius or Hippolyte Taine wanted to create a society based on the form of agriculture it has. I don't want to toot my own horn here, but it's genuinely too mature and complex for a teenager to understand. They feel trapped by their school and home life and don't want to be told that their hopes and dreams are largely environmentally determined, at least in their outward forms.

So I'm having trouble setting all that perspective aside and saying, "Whoop! Society is now governed by, uh, lacrosse players! Now all social value is determined by your lacrosse ball goaling-score thing! Join our heroes in their fight against the tyrannical Games and Sports Commission!"

How do I pare this shit down to the bones without making my inner sociologist weep?
>>
Infinite Jest kinda does what youre describing in the right way.
If you wanna go "deep" on simple concepts you kinda just repeat them over and over in slight different ways/contexts
>>
>>9459763
Don't curb your ideas for anything.
It's better to have a cult following than some kind of faddish recognition.
>>
>>9459791
I have no interest in recognition, just an income. Even $50 a month would be a relief. In any case, I'll be writing under a disposable pen name.
>>
>>9459802
I suppose I should clarify for the pure of heart.

The most commercially viable books are the least complex and least offensive. They are in fact the most average books in every way.

Reading Twilight and The Hunger Games, I'm almost impressed by how utterly inoffensive and unexceptional they are. They are "good enough." Nobody can really complain about them. They are "safe" to recommend, and if you admit to liking them (and are female), nobody could complain or even disagree. Basically they are EXTREMELY socially acceptable, EXTREMELY inoffensive, and easy to talk about, and thus word of mouth is fostered, and they become very widely known and sell in the millions.

I don't expect even a thousand sales, but this is clearly a viable model for emulation.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.