[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

William Gibson on Dhalgren: >I have never understood it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: dhalgrenfront.jpg (530KB, 576x936px) Image search: [Google]
dhalgrenfront.jpg
530KB, 576x936px
William Gibson on Dhalgren:

>I have never understood it. I have sometimes felt that I partially understood it, or that I was nearing the verge of understanding it... Dhalgren is not there to be finally understood. I believe its "riddle" was never meant to be "solved."

Can we solve it, /lit/?
>>
>>9459123
Dhalgren is terrible. One step above genre-tier, with terrible flowery prose and weak and unoriginal ideas. People have been drawn in way too much to the idea of the "wacky maximalist postmodern novel" these days. Just because a book is long and relatively difficult does not mean that it is good.
>>
thanks for the rec op
will read
>>
>>9459141
>People have been drawn in way too much to the idea of the "wacky maximalist postmodern novel" these days. Just because a book is long and relatively difficult does not mean that it is good.

This
>>
Figures, niggers cant write. Everyone knows that. Im glad I have this cite to curb my reading choices.
>>
>By contrast, fellow writers such as Philip K. Dick and Harlan Ellison hated the novel. When the book appeared, Ellison in the L. A. Times (Sunday, February 23, 1975, p. 64) wrote: "I must be honest. I gave up after 361 pages. I could not permit myself to be gulled or bored any further." In an interview 27 years later, he said: "When Dhalgren came out, I thought it was awful, still do ... I ... threw it against a wall." Dick called Dhalgren "a terrible book" that "should have been marketed as trash. ... I just started reading it and said this is the worst trash I've ever read. And I threw it away."

Who is in the right?
>>
>>9459141
Very substantial and non-meme criticisms for sure. You have definitely read the book and are not just spewing shit for the sake of it

>>9459123
Gibson greatly overstates the complexity of Dhalgren but it's still worth reading if you're into sci-fi
>>
>>9459985
Ellison literally hates everything. YouTube his series of TV spots, "Harlan Ellison's Watching"
>>
>>9459985
Was Dick triggered by the homosex?
>>
>>9459123
once i did acid
>>
>>9459123
>>I have never understood it. I have sometimes felt that I partially understood it, or that I was nearing the verge of understanding it...

What happens when a scifi pleb attempts to read something vaguely literary.
>>
>>9461973
Dude, he wrote the Foreword to it.
>>
>>9460664
He likes Norman Spinrad
>>
>>9461987
And he exaggerated the difficulty of the book because it went beyond the usual scifi conventions and style.
>>
>>9460664
I love his channel. Its great watching a man fueled almost entirely by anger
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.