[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a point in reading Spinoza today or is he just a historical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: 1200px-Spinoza.jpg (267KB, 1200x1394px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Spinoza.jpg
267KB, 1200x1394px
Is there a point in reading Spinoza today or is he just a historical curiosity like how Alchemy used to be a legitimate part of Science?
>>
>>9458117
>>9458117
Only fedoras think like you do
>>
>>9458119
Its just like, I normally read philosophers to understand other philosophers. There's like traditions of ideas and perspectives.
Spinoza gets mentioned a lot but no one really carried on his torch it seems. He was kind of just a dead end.
>>
>>9458129
>Spinoza gets mentioned a lot but no one really carried on his torch it seems. He was kind of just a dead end.

literally every history of philosophy says otherwise
>>
>>9458139
Yeah nah what I mean is, he's more important for getting things wrong than right you know? Its not that he wasn't important just superseded
>>
>>9458117
Read Deleuze enough and you will love being taken on Spinoza's witches' broomstick.
>>
>Alchemy
>Less legitimate then science
Umm yeah..
>>
>>9458156
That's entirely false and suggestive of a highly superficial conception of his ideas .
>>
>>9458436
Sure but you could say that about anyone
>>
>>9458117
>I only read people who are entirely correct
So you've never read anything?
>>
>>9458439
The fact that you can say anything about anything doesn't mean your logic has any sort of merit orher then producing a bittersweat reaction of laughter and sadness for such a low standard of reasoning.
>>
>>9458426
This. Spinoza: Practicale Philosophy is incredible, and an understanding of Spinoza is essential for when you finally grow up and read 1000 plateus
>>
File: 1493432971791.png (1MB, 1022x574px) Image search: [Google]
1493432971791.png
1MB, 1022x574px
>>9458546
>>9458426
Ok you convinced me, I didn't know he was so relevant to Big Gilles
>>
>>9458117
Spinoza is perhaps the most relevant philosopher right now. He is also one of the most influent of all time.
I don't know where you got the idea that he was just a historical curiosity, but you should definitivly read him.
>>
What exactly was he wrong about?
As far as I care, he's still the gold standard of ethics
>>
>>9458129
read deleuze
>>
>>9458552
>I didn't know he was so relevant to Big Gilles
he is the most central thinker to deleuze, followed by bergson and nietzsche
>>
>>9458129
Deleuze, Negri. Some smaller names like Lordon, Massumi
>>
>>9459094
Spinoza is a proto-Locke, who really was the influential philosopher.
>>
>>9460317
>Lordon
I love this guy, I wish he was more well known outside of France.
>>
Lots of Spinoza love in here. I have had a copy of his Ethics/Improvement of the Understanding that I have been putting off reading. How difficult of a philosopher is he?

My experience with philosophy is Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Leibniz, Seneca, Aurelius.
>>
(((Baruch Spinoza)))
>>
>>9460798
One of the most difficult. Probably the most difficult of his era.
>>
>>9460821
Excommunicated for not being kike enough
>>
>>9458439
You might have a dissociative disorder, anon.
>>
Spinoza's Ethics is great for understanding the lead in to modern determinism and materialism. I haven't read anything else from him though.
>>9460798
>How difficult of a philosopher is he?
Not bad. He lays his points out very clearly and orderly.
If you read and understood Aristotle and Leibniz, then you'll have absolutely no trouble with Spinoza as he's much simpler and more straight forward than either of them.
>>9460846
What? Nothing he says is particularly dense or difficult to understand. He's pretty much based in a common sense understanding of materialistic causation.
>>
>>9461422
Not that anon but he can be pretty difficult because his definitions can be pretty vague. He's also talking about some obscure stuff
>>
>>9461558
What definitions did you have trouble with?
>>
>>9461564
I haven't read it in some time but substance and attribute gave me some trouble. I was reading a lot of modern philosophy at the time and they each use substance in such different subtle ways that it started to confuse me
>>
>>9458117
He's essential if you have any interest in the Enlightenment.

The Tractatus Theologico-Politicus is just as important as the Ethics.
>>
>>9461601
This article addresses precisely that issue
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/continental-rationalism/
>>
>>9460402
haven't gotten to into him. is Willing Slaves Of Capital good?
>>
>>9458129
Nigger what? Spinozism was one of the hugely debated theologies during Kant's time, people basically tried to use his ideas to paint Kant as an atheist prompting him to further refine his critiques. Spinoza was huge
>>
>>9458117
Alchemy is spiritual science (science meaning knowledge, bud), not proto-chemistry.
cf: Evola, Burckhardt, et al.
>>
>>9463047
Was being the keyword
>>
>>9461801
Lordon really is great in each of his books and i would recommend you the one where he links explicitely Marx with Spinoza, i do not know how it is translated in english but maybe it is this one. The most powerful thing in it is that he takes the marxist way of thinking into the era of globalization and neoliberalism. He's pretty much the new Marx but without the revolutionary theory
>>
>>9463068
If anything, chemistry is a debased alchemy.

t. Guénon, Evola
>>
He's one of these philosophers who wrote incomprehensible garbage (in latin for additional butthurt) and people hailed it as genius after interpreting their gibberish for themselves.
>>
>>9458117
Negri is a big fan.
>>
>>9461268
Rather for fraternizing with Christians too much, and when his Jewab excumunitated him in a a rather chilling way, he just shrugged his shoulders and went on to associate with Christians instead.
>>
>>9458439

he's saying it about your stupid ideas about philosophy, not spinoza
>>
>>9463644
>not understanding Spinoza
>call him out because «gibberish»
>«butthurt» because latin
I hope your one of those trolls who lurks on /lit/ to feel intelligent
>>
>>9463697
>Rather for fraternizing with Christians too much, and when his Jewab excumunitated him in a a rather chilling way, he just shrugged his shoulders and went on to associate with Christians instead.
Christians hated him too, some priest even called him the "sinister ambassador of hell". Spinoza philosophy was very contreversial at the time, and in some way, it still is.
>>
>>9458433
I get that Reddit and scientism are bad but I think we're taking this reactionary meme a little far guys...
>>
>>9463088
>being this faggot
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.