[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best music theory books? Let's make a chart. We are better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

Best music theory books? Let's make a chart. We are better than /mu/ at their own game.
>>
lets not
>>
>>9456208

This is actually a great book.
>>
fuck off to /mu/ with this reddit shit
>>
>>9456208
>Fux
>Rameau
>Koechlin
Get the fuck out now.
>>
>>9456223
> /lit/ is for books not books!
>>
>>9456225
/thread
>>
>>9456208
your gay, but id be interested, post the chart when it's done
>>
File: 1490690706168.png (354KB, 631x551px) Image search: [Google]
1490690706168.png
354KB, 631x551px
>>9456208
Classical Form - William Caplin
Gradus Ad Parnassum (aka The Study of Counterpoint) - Fux
Polyphonic Composition - Owen Swindale
Introduction to Schenkerian Analysis - Allen Forte and Steven Gilbert
>>
reminder this is shifted towards classical
>>
>>9456252
The fuck? Jazz is for superior than classical in technical ability.
>>
>>9456210

Lmao gotta love it when faggots make threads and just get immediately BTFO. I just stopped browsing, Reddit can enjoy their stay on /lit/. It's not like I don't have other shit to do.
>>
>>9456252
>>9456269
why not both

>>9456309
whats this chart making = reddit meme?
>>
>>9456210
fpbp
>>
>buy pic related
>start studying it
>2 weeks later
>Hindemith actually expect me to conduct one melodic line, hum another one, tap another one with my other hand while counting in 6/8 for 2 bars and 9/8 for the other 2

Fucking Germans
>>
>>9456269
> jazz
lmaoooooo
>>
>>9456269
>jazz
>having merit

pick 1
>>
>>9456391
Classical musicians can't even feel rhythm.
>>
>>9456331
That's basically playing and singing at the piano.
>>
has anyone read Tonal Harmony
>>
>>9456798
Actually I just went and looked this up and it is much harder than I was thinking.
>>
>>9456798
It's basically playing mentally a 3 parts fugue in abstruse tempos, while being barely able to play the piano, read the music or even sing it (those excercises come shockingly early in the book).

t. I've finished it 8 years ago, and it was pure nightmare
>>
what was that old breakbeat song that was like "some dudes syncopates style!"
>>
The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine
>>
>>9456208
lol at that guy on the cover
>what the hell am I supposed to do with these sticks anyway?
>>
>>9457374
FUCKING BEATLES, teaching something to anyone.
>>
>>9456208

Percussion Essentials:

Modern Method for Tympani, Saul Goodman
NARD Drum Solos, A collection of 150 graded solos of the former National Association of Rudimental Drummers, NARD.
Method of Movement, Leigh Howard Stevens
Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer, Jim Chaplin
Tornado by Mitch Markovitch (Easily the greatest and finest snare solo, easily encompassing all the needed skills to claim oneself a master of the basics and fundamentals of proper marching snare technique).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRU56i7jnY
>>
File: fedora anime.jpg (89KB, 651x720px) Image search: [Google]
fedora anime.jpg
89KB, 651x720px
>>9457468
>>
>>9457574
They were a literal boyband that then played dadrock after they saw that was more profitable, what was there exactly to learn from those merchants?
>>
>>9456225
Did anyone have any e-books from them please?
>>
>>9456269
I love jazz too anon, but you're just wrong.
>>
>>9456269
Lol
>>
>>9457601
http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Music_theory
http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Writings
>>
>>9458430
>Thanks mate.
>>
The Barry Harris harmonic method for guitar. This book helps teach you the Wes Montgomery/joe pass style of chord movement. Anything by Barry Harris is really absolutely brilliant.
>>
What is the best book for a complete beginner to music theory? My primary goal is to be able to better appreciate classical music, and i'd like to be able to learn an instrument too.
>>
>>9458917

unironically
>>
>>9458917

The music came before the theory, firstly.

You either like it or you don't-- don't get hung up over it senpai.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.