[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jesus Christ, I wasn't ready for the second and third acts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: ChildhoodsEnd(1stEd).jpg (33KB, 215x332px) Image search: [Google]
ChildhoodsEnd(1stEd).jpg
33KB, 215x332px
Jesus Christ, I wasn't ready for the second and third acts of Childhood's End. True lit-kino. The first act was so tame by comparison, I almost thought that, after the intro, I was reading a very overrated book that was borderline YA in style of prose. Glad I got to read it all without knowing anything about the plot beforehand.

What other sci-fi books should I read now? No meme books, please.
>>
File: A Canticle for Leibowitz.jpg (121KB, 510x680px) Image search: [Google]
A Canticle for Leibowitz.jpg
121KB, 510x680px
There's a pretty good mini-series with Charles Dance playing Korellen. It's worth checking out.

>What other sci-fi books should I read now?

There's a good reason ACFL is so beloved by philosophy majors. It partly inspired the Fallout games too.
>>
>>9454161

>kino

This meme needs to die. Its low IQ slang.
>>
>>9454161
not for nothing is the ending where everyone ascends to godhood (like Greg Bear's "Blood Music") known as the Childhood's End ending.
>>
>>9454689
awe shit nugga that be fye as.

learn to keep up or be eaten by the wolves.
>>
The "demons" twist in the first part felt so silly even though I saw it coming.
Is it my fault? Have I been spoiled by pop culture? I just really don't believe that they are such a deeply ingrained mythological symbol that would instinctively invoke fear and hatred. More like laughter.
>>
>>9454823

You may think that, but I doubt you'd keep your cool if you saw a biblical demon straight out of a christian demon painting standing right in front of you. You'd shit your pants, I genuinely believe so, because you'd then associate his image to the very idea of Evil, no matter his actions.

By the way, I don't think that 'twist', if you can even call it one, was that impactful either, and I didn't see it coming. I'm not sure it was supposed to cause a big reaction on the reader, but I might be wrong.
>>
>>9454549

I heard the mini-series butchers the whole point of the book. You seem to have liked it, though.

I'll check out this ACFL book, thanks.
>>
>>9454161
truly, the evangelion of literature
>>
>>9454549
I watched act 1 and 2 from the miniseries, didn't get that hooked to be honest and ended up Googling the ending and spoiling myself.
>>
File: IMG_0491.gif (121KB, 350x536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0491.gif
121KB, 350x536px
Great book. The Stars my destination is very good too
>>
This following quote might be a spoiler to some, but it's probably one of my favorite Science Fiction quotes ever and almost made me cry (don't ask me why) when I read it in the Childhood's End book:

It might have been Earth. A white sun hung in a blue sky flecked with clouds, which were racing before a storm. A hill sloped gently down to an ocean torn into spray by the ravening wind. Yet nothing moved: the scene was frozen as if glimpsed in a flash of lightning. And far, far away on the horizon was something that was not of Earth -- a line of misty columns, tapering slightly as they soared out of the sea and lost themselves among the clouds. They were spaced with perfect precision along the rim of the planet -- too huge to be artificial, yet too regular to be natural.
("Sideneus 4 and the Pillars of the Dawn," said Rashaverak, and there was awe in his voice. "He has reached the center of the Universe."
"And he has barely begun his journey," answered Karellen.)

It reminds me a lot of the 'tears in the rain' moment in the movie Blade Runner.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.