[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to give a high school class on medieval philosophy. However,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: meister eckhart.jpg (8KB, 217x233px) Image search: [Google]
meister eckhart.jpg
8KB, 217x233px
I need to give a high school class on medieval philosophy.
However, this is the era that I most do not know and encounter more difficult to offer something that is interesting and palatable.
Could anyone suggest anything to me?
A text, a video that you think would be stimulating for disinterested young people?
>>
Have them read Name of the Rose
>>
>>9453390
just go for the drunken anecdotes about the philosophers instead. that ought to get their attention.
>>
>>9453390
C.S. Lewis wrote a book on it called The Discarded Image. Check it out.
>>
>>9453390
Part 2 of Anthony Kenny's A New History of Western Philosophy. It's not terribly long and a good overview, although for a high school class you may not want to read ~300 pages, but it's a good read by itself. First section is a chronological overview and the second is divided by the different branches of philosophy, so you can pick and choose if there's a certain area you want to focus on. You can find it on libgen. And as for your question about disinterested young people, you could do something about Heloise and Abelard. A tragic love affair and they were both philosophers in their own right.
>>
Here you go:
http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/great-minds-of-the-medieval-world.html

Why are you giving a class on a subject you don't know?

>>9453465
Please, don't.
>>
>>9453589
>Please, don't.

why not faggot

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/life-and-writings-of-c-s-lewis.html
>>
>>9453593
Because Lewis a shit.
>>
>>9453580
>>9453390
Oh, I read your OP as if you were a high school student, I'd still read what I recommended though even if you're not assigning it.
>>
Medieval Philosophy? Might as well teach a course on theology.
>>
>>9453593

He's a retarded tripfag, don't mind him
>>
>>9453601
I'd honestly prefer that they read Gilson but I mean these are high schoolers were talking about.
>>
Why not kick it off with Augustine's confessions, Boethius, and Thomist ideas from the Summa? Follow it up with some Averrone-kebab philosophy counterpoints and book end it with the emergence of Descartes and rationalism.

Neoplatonism is another interesting side journey.

Add Dante Or Boccaccio to supplement.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.