[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my wife has been in grad school for a while, getting a master's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_nmwqz8lERi1sioa0ko1_500.jpg (43KB, 480x726px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmwqz8lERi1sioa0ko1_500.jpg
43KB, 480x726px
So my wife has been in grad school for a while, getting a master's and now and PhD. I've mingled with English grad students and lit mfas because of her. I've been thinking about applying to mfa programs but one of the things that puts me off is the mfa students. They all seem to be extremely sensitive special snowflake types who can't fucking deal. I went to a reading last night and all of their work was whiny mastubatory fever dream nonsense about how gay they are and shit like that. Are all these people this way? What is the point of even creating if it's this kind of crap?
>>
>>9451343
Post-secondary education is useless. Independent study is both more enjoyable and more effective in the long term.

Plus you don't have to deal with college kids.
>>
your wife is worthless trash
>>
>>9451394
thats actually mainly why i decided to be home schooled.
>>
Well, I think he problem is that we think a lot of these people are intelligent when we're removed from it. I mean, if you can argue that these kids are bullsit-do it.
I totally agree, I'm just not a very good writer to be able to dispute them or call them pseuds.
>>
>>9451394
If I was a NEET I probably wouldn't worry about it but I need whatever stipend I can get to support me so I don't have to work.
>>
>>9451343
My experience with the MFA types at the universities I've attended suggests that they appeal to a certain sort of indulgent and narcissistic person. I don't mean this in a pejorative way, but as a description. It may also be that the MFA programs at my universities were less about the busines and craft of writing and more about kuh feelings and muh expreshun.

I found most of these people insufferable. Along with the relatively high opinion one must have of oneself o begin such a project, they often added a strong sense of entitlement, as though they were owed publication for their effort. Most maddening was the sentiment a few of them shared against reading: "Oh I don't read much... I don'twant to be influenced by anyone." It was a shame upon my department that they catered to such people and took their money.
>>
>>9451505
This is basically exactly my feeling. I want to do an MFA because I feel it will give me a break from the 9 to 5 slog and allow me to focus just on writing for a while. I would like to spend that time with like minded people but I guess that's not a possibility
>>
>>9451343
I'd imagine that it would be worth it to go to an mfa program to study with a writer you liked or a department that teaches the kind of fiction you're interested in. You need to do research on the faculty. For example I know Ben Marcus is the head guy at Columbia so they are more conducive to doing experimental fiction
>>
>>9451343
stop lying on an image board
>>
>>9451343
Yeah, I think that's how MFA students are. The general rule regarding graduate school, though, is: don't go unless they'll pay you.
>>
>>9451525
I've kinda only got the one option since this is where we'll be until my wife finishes her PhD.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.