[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So isn't there like thousands of new books coming out every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1475314603887.jpg (371KB, 929x1364px) Image search: [Google]
1475314603887.jpg
371KB, 929x1364px
So isn't there like thousands of new books coming out every day? I'd imagine that people here don't stay up to date on newer books because you'd prefer to let the sands of time wash away all the refuse and leave only the monuments left standing. Still, it does strike me that this board seems to focus mostly on "classics" rather than anything new whatsoever, besides the occasional new book from an established author, like I remember people were going on about Jarusalem, which I think was by a guy who wrote some other classic book (don't hate me because I don't remember or haven't read his work please).
>>
I read your post because I liked the pic, but I don't understand your point. Yeah, your description of the situation is more or less correct... and?

Also, it was Alan Moore who wrote Jerusalem, but he became well known for his comics from the eighties and nineties (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell, Swamp Thing etc).
>>
>>9450654
It's just weird to me that there doesn't seem to be any attention payed to recent works of literature on this board. I was just making a conjecture of why I think that may be, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>9450658
>doesn't seem to be any attention payed to recent works of literature
it is trash compared to most classic literature.
>>
>>9450708
I wouldn't know. I'm just always curious about whether or not there's any good stuff that comes out recently. When you think about it though it doesn't really matter, considering there's so much stuff that's already come out that you'd have to spend more than one life time to get all the way through. That's unless you're into the sciences or something.
>>
>>9450708
>it is trash compared to most classic literature.
A lot of classic literature as considered trash when it was first published.
>>
>>9450658
New stuff isn't filtered out and given Harold Bloomâ„¢ seal of approval, so the memers don't care about it.
>>
>>9450733
>considering there's so much stuff that's already come out that you'd have to spend more than one life time to get all the way through
It is also essential to have read works from different times and understand different styles as to when developing your own you are aware of exactly everything that you are doing and have seeming intent behind every phrase.
Too many modern novels lack this. Too many novels now read as if it were a writing prompt from reddit.
>>9450745
Not in the sense that it is today.
But I agree, there propably is some great novel that came out in the past year or so but was overshadowed by just how much other garbage was released at the same time, perhaps even it will be rediscovered and become a classic in 75 years or so.
>>
>>9450635
Since there's such an enormous amount of books coming out these days, the chances of several anons having read the same thing is very small, at least when it comes to literary fiction. It'd take months of shilling or a Nobel prize to get more people to read it.
Meanwhile everyone and their mom has read Crime and Punishment.

I wouldn't mind more threads trying to discuss more recent books though.
>>
>>9450752
>>9450752
Harold Bloom is my Oprah
>>
>>9450752
It's really sad to imagine a world without Harold Bloom. There's literally no one as omnipresent in the literary world as he is, and I love his opinions and I want to bare his children.
>>
All about that baptism by time
And even if it weren't, fuck my contemporaries
>>
>>9450635
Is this a man?
>>
File: glitter_hushing.jpg (19KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
glitter_hushing.jpg
19KB, 620x465px
>>9450848
>I want to bare his children.

Now there's a Freudian slit ...
>>
>>9450856
Yes.
>>9451149
Lol fuck. I just realized that. I thought that the word bear was for the animal, so I thought that bare was the proper word.
>>
>>9450856
Would a man wear that? Obviously not. Think.
>>
>>9450745
True but there wasn't an inexpensive means of churning out continual piles of vapid trash and spreading their marketing so widely as to be able to return a profit consistently like there is now. We are living in the era of mediocrity.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.