[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm running a DnD campaign, but instead of the big bad guy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: Nature Rock.png (399KB, 468x473px) Image search: [Google]
Nature Rock.png
399KB, 468x473px
I'm running a DnD campaign, but instead of the big bad guy being bad for the sake of bad, I want him to have a reason fro being bad that is valid enough to make my players question whether or not the big bad should be killed at all. I'm looking for some examples of villains that were not just right, but had valid reasoning for being bad, can anyone give me some examples of villains like that so I can go look them up and get their full story?

In exchange, I have a picture of a cool rock.
>>
File: 1482471177275.jpg (44KB, 476x395px) Image search: [Google]
1482471177275.jpg
44KB, 476x395px
>>9447834
I looked at your rock but will contribute nothing to your thread.
>>
File: Headless Horseman.png (756KB, 704x789px) Image search: [Google]
Headless Horseman.png
756KB, 704x789px
>>9447834
Ask yourself when making the character:
>Whats his goals
>Whats his upbringing been like? Strict? Loose?
>What does he have to loose?
>Is he just protecting his people?
>Is it out of love?
>Is he attempting to get revenge on someone or something from a past event?
Just stuff to think about, I suck at writing but I tend to understand where you're coming from. Making a believable villain is a hard thing to do, it jut takes practice and trial and error
>pic unrelatedish
>>
ask /v/
you're obviously not going to read entire books, so go someplace that you can find fanwikis for their characters
>>
There's a fantasy book that tells the tale of the Lord of the Rings from the perspective of the Orcs. It describes them as a society on the brink of an industrial revolution. The political consequences of such a change are already destabilizing the world and are unsufferable for the feodal and undevelopped realms nearby, id est Hobbits, Humans, Elves and other Dwarves kingdoms. And since these are backward and try to remain unchanged for eternity, they wage war to the Orcs. And incidentally produce some propaganda about aristocrats accomplishing heroical deeds, all soaked in moral judgments and marvels, like religious beliefs and magical piffles.
>>
>>9447834
Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XExjrZxTdk

Then you will understand.
>>
>>9447923
>Although the allied propaganda would have us believe otherwise, Adolf Hitler was in reality the most popular leader the world has ever seen.
>However, as in the case J.F. Kennedy and earlier with Julius Caesar, the

>This vidya isn't available in your country.

Fucking allied propaganda
>>
File: Sea Rock.jpg (90KB, 700x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sea Rock.jpg
90KB, 700x480px
>>9447840
Okay, I hope you enjoyed looking at the rock.

>>9447852
This listing helps quite a bit, thank you, from this I have started with a base that the villain lived with his mother and father in a small farming village, but had some magical aptitude that allowed him to more effectively defend his village from pillagers and monsters, but over time realized that the lack of technological progress from the over reliance on magic was hindering the ability for mundane people to stand toe to toe with people that use or gain from magic, and used that knowledge from growing up, along with his own inherent aptitude to attempt a forced golden age of prosperity by causing gradually increasing strife behind the scenes while publicly pushing along the advancement of technology.

At least thats the bare bones of it.

>>9447910
I'll look into it, whats its title?

>>9447923
Six hours is a pretty big time investment, ill put it on another monitor and just play it as background noise like i do with audio books.
>>
>>9447955
>I'll look into it, whats its title?
It's a fantasy book, I'm not sure it pertains to our spacetime.
>>
>>9447834
It's not difficult at all to create a villain, just look at the villains from the real world and real history and make your villain similar to one of them:

>Stalin
>Caligula
>George Soros
>Hillary Clinton
>Gengis Khan
>Charlemagne
>Rothschild
>>
>>9447910
>>9447955

The Last Ringbearer
>>
>>9447834
Ted Kaczynsky
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.