[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you stop reading "literature" and finally start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 10

File: 1433006892024.jpg (145KB, 659x609px) Image search: [Google]
1433006892024.jpg
145KB, 659x609px
>tfw you stop reading "literature" and finally start reading for fun
>>
>tfw reading "literature" is fun because you're not a moron
>>
>tfw you give up on that and watch kardasians.
>>
File: 82733jpg.jpg (83KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
82733jpg.jpg
83KB, 400x400px
>>9447648
>>
>>9447795
It's bait.
>>
File: 22.jpg (827KB, 4030x4096px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
827KB, 4030x4096px
>>9447648
>tfw can't read anymore to get sleepy because shit is too interesting and I'll end up reading until 5am

Is this how Leopardi felt?
>>
>tfw you mature out of reading just the /lit/ cannon and develop your own relationship with reading
>>
>>9447819
This desu. I crushed canon works from 18-30, at which point the NYRB sort of opened my eyes away from classics and now I search out critically regarded works off the beaten path, like Mexican or Russian contemporary literary awards. It is much more rewarding, especially when you can read a blurb and go "fuckin yuck"
>>
File: IMG_0836.jpg (378KB, 1796x1428px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0836.jpg
378KB, 1796x1428px
>>9447648
>tfw you read (great book) and instead of reading more books you spend months rereading it, thinking about it all the time until every ounce of juice gets encoded into your DNA
>>
>>9447844
NYRB is amazing for this. I want to read way more of their catalog than I have.
>>
File: ayyy.gif (974KB, 500x318px) Image search: [Google]
ayyy.gif
974KB, 500x318px
>tfw you started reading for fun and now want to read "literature"
I kinda did it backwards, went from reading the new Star Wars cannon to reading some of the stuff /lit/ recommends
>>
>>9447864
very exciting
>>
>>9447864
>reading some of the stuff /lit/ recommends
Like what?
>>
>>9447871
>Lolita
>Divine Comedy
>I think you guys recommended "The Road to Serfdom"
>Finally getting around to reading LotR
>Currently reading "On Pain" by Ernst Junger
Although On pain wasn't from you guys, that was from Better Than Food: Book Reviews
>Please don't roast me for that, I know you folks don't like him much
>>
>>9447879
All those books are from glancing at my bookshelf, I would have to look through it more carefully to determine what I gained from looking into "literature"
>>
>>9447844
That cover and title are comfy as fuck. Will read soon. Any other NYRB recs? I've read John Williams and William Gass' stuff. Just read Hard Rain Falling as well (highly recommend it). I feel like I've read a few other NYRB books without knowing it/maybe I'm forgetting a few.

Any recs are appreciated.
>>
>>9447901
Stayed with me.

Skylark and The Siege of Krishnapur are my other two favorites.
>>
File: 1472216056114.png (722KB, 567x607px) Image search: [Google]
1472216056114.png
722KB, 567x607px
>>9447648
I know this is b8, but I'll bite.

Literature and genre distinctions are dumb. They're just terms used by marketers in order to attract a demographic. Before the 1960s people didn't categorize books like this. Nowadays something like A Christmas Carol would be considered a genre books just because it has ghosts. While before the '60s, Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit were considered literature and were worthy of being reviewed by the New York Times.

There is also too much variance between what we categorize as lit. Is it beautiful sentences? Not really, Raymond Carver, who is basically the model for all MFA programs, had a very simple prose style. So is it deep themes? Well do all literary works have deep themes? Not really.

There's also a movement of praising older, previously looked down upon works. Works by genre writers like Raymond Chandler, Philip K Dick, Dashiell Hammett, Patrica Highsmith, are praised and taught in university classes even though the only real difference between them and contemporary genre writers is that their works are older and they are dead.

Basically genre vs literature is dumb, they are marketing terms, and an entire generation has been duped by elitism.
>>
File: fully erect.jpg (23KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
fully erect.jpg
23KB, 600x300px
>>9447930
nioce
>>
>>9447930
>Nowadays something like A Christmas Carol would be considered a genre book

The current literary milieu masturbates furiously over magical realism.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.