[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What sort of influence do you think Dostos Crime and Punishment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 123132563.jpg (16KB, 300x483px) Image search: [Google]
123132563.jpg
16KB, 300x483px
What sort of influence do you think Dostos Crime and Punishment have on Tolstoy's Resurrection?

It feels to me like Tolstoy was heavily inspired by Dostoevsky philosophy of redemption through suffering. He saw that those who have suffered in life were keen to believe in God. This to him was an 'evolution' of the human spirit. One who has suffered turns to God, because God though his love has given us joy and suffering, but only through suffering can we be drawn closer to his glory. Tolstoy takes this idea and applies it to his typical aristocratic style. Nekhlyudov does not suffer himself, but he suffers through Katyusha. This is at the same time a great parallel of Russian society at the time, and a celebration of humanity and *love*.

Your thoughts /lit/?
>>
>>9445279
tolstoy didnt respect dosto

dosto admired tolstoy to the point of obsession
>>
Oh wow, I didn't think anyone else had read this.

"But before Marx really took hold of my imagination, one of the books I bought from Progress Publishers was a book by Tolstoy called Resurrection. And it's a book that's very rarely read now. But it really affected me deeply, for a simple reason. The story is about a prince, somebody from an elite background who visits a relative and in the visit rapes or has some sort of sexual encounter with a servant. It's not clear in the novel whether it's consensual or--what is consent, after all? But it's--they have sex. And this woman--then the servant is pregnant, and her life from that minute falls apart.
Now, what's amazing about the novel Resurrection is that this prince is the best kind of person, and he tries his best to help her. In fact, at one point she is sent off to the Gulag. You know, the tsar's courts condemn her to Siberia. And he rides his horse alongside the Gulag train, you know, as they are walking in their caravan, and he wants to help, and she keeps telling him, get out of my life, because you can't help me.
And what that novel--you know, and of course he can't help her. But what that novel demonstrated to me very powerfully, much more powerfully than, you know, English fiction, much more powerfully, was the futility of even the best liberal person. You know, you just--your good intentions just cannot help you get out of the mess that the world is in. That really affected me deeply, that however well-intentioned you are, however many blankets you hand out to people, however nice you are to people of different class backgrounds, your personal good sense, your personal character is not going to help us transform the hideous atrocities that happen in the world, and often the hideous atrocities that happen because of things we do, not knowing that we're doing something hideous."

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=767&Itemid=74&jumival=10523
>>
>>9445285
>tolstoy didnt respect dosto

Yes I'm aware of this. It is strange though how both authors wrote books about finding God through punishment in the most literal sense (prison).

Dostos take is more about the personal human experience, which is what he is always interested in, when Tolstoy chooses to critique contemporary Russian society.
>>
Interesting points, OP

Note that Katusha suffers, but her suffering makes her hard and cynical. It is the Prince who suffers a crisis of faith, though it is not his personal suffering that precipitates his crisis of faith.
>>
I vastly prefer Tolstoy, but think Tolstoy suffers in this comparison. Though Resurrection isn't bad, C&P is Dostoevsky's cleanest novel by far, arguably his best.
In a way, discounting C&P's concluding insights, R begins where C&P leaves off. It's been quite some time since I've read either, but remember thinking of C&P all through R, how it was not only better with similar themes, but more readable, more interesting, more dramatic.
>>
Finally a quality thread. Keep it going, /lit/izens. I'll check back once I can concentrate enough to contribute well.
>>
>>9445279
is that fucking hila?
>>
>>9445285
That isn't true. Tolstoy looked down on Dostoyevsky (in the literary perspective) in the same way he looked down on literally every writer including Shakespeare. Chekhov would tell about how Tolstoy would view other writers as though they were children attempting the craft he was a master at.
He deeply admired and loved Dostoyevsky, on a personal level even though they never met. Brothers Karamazov was the last novel he read before he died.
>>
>>9445285

Tolstoy thought Dostoevsky was a pleb and shit writer (he was) but after Big D died Tolstoy realized he should have listened to his heart and he cried b/c Big D was gone forever. Very sad desu.
Tolstoy was Stacey and Big D was just an anon and only was loved once it was too late. Oldest story in the world.
>>
File: brap.png (872KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
brap.png
872KB, 1366x768px
BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my dear....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...eggs I smell?......sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my darling....sniff....quite pungent eggs yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my dear....sniff...but of yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dear....another if you please....nice a big now.... BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my dear....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my darling.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my dear....ah yes....let me guess...curry for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well curry......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....onion and garlic chutney I take it my dear?.....hmmmmm....yes quite..... BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT Oh I was not expecting that…that little gust my dear….you caught me off guard…yes…so gentle it was though…hmmmm…let me taste this little one…just one small sniff…..sniff…ah….ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff…and yet…so strong…yes…the odor….sniff sniff…hmmm….is that….sniff….hmmm….I can almost taste it my dear…..yes….just…sniff….a little whiff more if you please…..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff…ah yes I have it now….yes quite….hhhhmmmm…delectable my dear…..quite exquisite yes…..I dare say…sniff….the most pungent one yet my dear….ssssnnnnniiiifffffffffffffffffffffff….yes….
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.