[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me choose /lit/. I'm a slow reader so either one will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 20170430_021154.jpg (3MB, 2976x2189px) Image search: [Google]
20170430_021154.jpg
3MB, 2976x2189px
Help me choose /lit/. I'm a slow reader so either one will take me quite a while. I read the recognitions and loved it, one of my favorites for sure.

Strengths/ weaknesses of each?

If you had to pick one you like more which would it be?
>>
>>9445183
I haven't read the recognitions or JR, but i'm reading the tunnel now and it's an amazing books. It's horrible. But it's also amazing.

Idk, if you're able to read books like this, you should be able to pick between them as well.
>>
>>9445183
J R is "easier" once the trick clicks. If you've read The Recognitions it will be easy.
>>
>>9445183
first page of The Tunnel has a fucking reference to Tampax being committed to the trash, conveniently, The Tunnel was committed to the trash soon after. J R is absolutely fantastic, and Gaddis is the genius you had always hoped for.
>>
File: IMG_20151125_235512.jpg (80KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151125_235512.jpg
80KB, 720x720px
Well, I started The Tunnel. People didn't respond for a while so I just picked one. I'm liking it a lot so far but I am only 15 pages in. It seems right up my alley, very self reflective. I know literally nothing about this book other than it's supposed to be one of the great post-modern tomes so I'm exited to see how it's going to shape up.

You guys seem to not like it? Why not?
>>
>>9445183
I'm also trying to pick between these two for my next read. Finishing up Women and Men and I'll likely go for the Gaddis, but I'm on the fence. I just finished Finding a Form by William H. Gass the other day and it was fucking incredible.
>>
File: I'll think on this.jpg (177KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
I'll think on this.jpg
177KB, 1024x1024px
>>9445183
Not OP but I know nothing, nor have I heard anything, about these books. Whats special about them /lit/?
>>
>>9447611
>being this new
Go read The Recognitions and report back
>>
>>9447603
Hi, K :^)

(Goodreads)

Haven't read The Tunnel, but JR is amazing. Thanks for your updates on W&M. Glad to hear it's worth the time.
>>
>>9447616
>956 pages
Anon, like OP, I am a slow reader. This will take me a very long time to finish. But what is so good about it I might ask.
>>
>>9447629
OP here, it serves as such a great character study of a whole varying cast of characters. There were many times where I thought I was so sure about how worthless and shallow certain characters were but Gaddis would show me the humanity of those characters and totally change my view of them. People like to praise Gaddis' dialogue (which is incredible) but for me his descriptive prose is what really got me absolutely hooked.

The book is stuffed to the brim with symbolism around things that are fake, or inauthentic, or counterfeit etc. He's incredibly heavy handed with this symbolism but I actually enjoyed that about it. It's not overly criptic.

I never found it boring and only found it difficult in one particular section (those who have read it probably know what I'm talking about), but there is an online guide that is very comprehensive and helped me out for that part.

I put it off for a long time because of the length. Don't be like me. Please read it, it's criminally under-read.
>>
>>9447623
Its legitimately great. It deserves the hype.
>>
>>9447603
is this /u/nothingcleverleft on reddit?
>>
The Tunnel
>>
>>9447310
oh boy the opinion of someone who admits they've never read the book we're talking about, time to care what you have to say
>>
>>9447669
>found it difficult in one particular section

Cool, I was actually just about to ask how difficult you found it. Hope you enjoy The Tunnel and post more thoughts about it later, OP.
>>
>>9447603
Reading anything by Gass and then loving it is the perfect mindset to read The Tunnel. I read Middle C after trying to read The Tunnel and then was able to finish The Tunnel because it moved me so much.
>>
>>9448055
I should probably be less obvious.
>>
File: IMG_0098.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0098.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>9448178
>tampax posters
i'm sorry Gass isn't good.

for reference: https://4archive.org/board/lit/thread/8132079
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.