[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does seeing your bookshelf amass with completed books give you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: JNmagnifyingglasseslarge.jpg (205KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
JNmagnifyingglasseslarge.jpg
205KB, 1100x733px
Does seeing your bookshelf amass with completed books give you a sense of accomplishment?

A ~6 years ago I started hoarding books for a couple years without ever reading them. 2-3 years ago I actually started reading them. I now have a large bookshelf full of books I've read and looking at it gives me a real sense of accomplishment.

Getting off the computer and spending a few hours reading in bed also fixed my bad sleeping habits
>>
>>9443375
>The writer Umberto Eco belongs to that small class of scholars who are encyclopedic, insightful, and nondull. He is the owner of a large personal library (containing thirty thousand books), and separates visitors into two categories: those who react with “Wow! Signore professore dottore Eco, what a library you have! How many of these books have you read?” and the others — a very small minority — who get the point that a private library is not an ego-boosting appendage but a research tool. Read books are far less valuable than unread ones. The library should contain as much of what you do not know as your financial means, mortgage rates, and the currently tight real-estate market allows you to put there. You will accumulate more knowledge and more books as you grow older, and the growing number of unread books on the shelves will look at you menacingly. Indeed, the more you know, the larger the rows of unread books. Let us call this collection of unread books an antilibrary.

-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
>>
>>9443432
I have the internet. I can research anything. If something is in a book that isn't online, I can buy it on Amazon and get it within 2 days.

I must say, though, it is nice having a lot of unread books because I can randomly grab something I'm in the moo for.
>>
>>9443375
>Does seeing your bookshelf amass with completed books give you a sense of accomplishment?

Damn right, faggot.
>>
>>9443453
If anything that train of thought just shows that the topics you research either hardly have depth or you only care about the superficiality of the topic.
>>
Most of the books I've read I keep in boxes since I only have one bookshelf.

Honestly there's a lot of shit on my bookshelf that I don't have much interest atm. I used to go to used book sales and libraries giving away inventory so I amassed a fair amount.
>>
On the one hand, I want to downsize/digitize my library because it feels good to strive towards minimalism. I feel like my mind gets uncluttered in tandem with my living space, making me happier and more productive.

But on the other hand I love that "old used bookstore" aesthetic and the romance of reading/writing in a cozy room with overflowing shelves of books all around.

Anyone else know that feel or have suggestions on how to reconcile these two competing ideals?
>>
>>9443432
this is true, but it's also true that's it's fun to see what books you've actually read. i think sorting read and unread is perfectly reasonable
>>
>>9443432
>Read books are far less valuable than unread ones.

That is untrue.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.