[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any 40k novels that aren't complete garbage?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: LetGalBurn.jpg (48KB, 315x480px) Image search: [Google]
LetGalBurn.jpg
48KB, 315x480px
Are there any 40k novels that aren't complete garbage?

I really enjoy the world building in the series and I feel the right author should be able to do something wonderful with it.
>>
ciaphas cain desu
>>
File: 1485795153923.jpg (182KB, 1024x663px) Image search: [Google]
1485795153923.jpg
182KB, 1024x663px
Helsreach is superb
Generally, the Space Marine Battles are cool
Graham McNeils Novels are decent
I hear often that the Gaunts Ghost series is good, but I havent read them
I remember Horus Heresy being entertaining, but thats been a few years ago. That series is also really long
>>
>>9443459
How long are we talking here?
Is it done?
>>
Storm of Iron is like the most dead on, representative example of a good warhammer book. It's not the best of the best, but its easy to get into, solid,, well paced, epic, introduces concepts as they come for new readers, and the way the plot goes really sets the tone for the universe.

Gaunts ghosts books are my favourite books period.

Eisenhorn's also fantastic, and the Ravenor books that I'm making my way through are also really good so far. They're not as good as Eisenhorn, but they do their own thing and do some things they better than Eisenhorn, like showing the meticulous, office based investigative drudgery and subtler undercover operations that take place between the big action scenes. Also if you like dystopias aesthetically the main city that Ravenor takes place in is mesmerizing and feels weirdly unique despite not bending over backwards to be quirky or high concept. Just smaller things like robot birds having been built to make the city feel more normal, but over generations their feathers got eaten away by acid rain so now they're awful skeletons of sharpened steel.

The good horus heresy books are great. Just off the bat the first five are recommended, then Legion, The first Heretic, A thousand Sons and Prospero Burns are all worth your time, plus probably a good few more, but I've only read up to Outcast dead, book 17 or so.

Ultramarines books are just solid, rarely mind-blowing, but the second one, warriors of ultramar, is a stand out in how it portrays a city and the surrounding countryside dealing with a tyranid invasion.

This is the quickest primer really

Writen by Dan Abnett or Aaron demski bowden-Highest tier.

Written by Graham McNeill-Almost always decent, and sometimes Abnett and Bowden level when he's on form.

Sandy Mitchell-The Abnett of 40K comedy, but I haven't read him yet.

Everyone else: Probably like McNeill on an average day if they're lucky, but they've not entered the level of general esteem placed on of these previous four. However I haven't read them all so maybe it's just a matter of the community not giving credit where it's due.
>>
>>9443836
ty anon
>>
>>9444832
Read the original 'Space Marine", by Ian Watson. its brutal, its amazing. (also, Inquisitor)

it was heavily edited in the second print (after 1995 i think), because of GW changing its target demographic to children.

go on ebay, try and find a 1st edition. enjoy.
>>
>>9443642
nah
Ive read like the first ten books in german
The series isnt finished yet
Its written by a lot of different authors, so the quality varies sometimes
So far, there are 34 novels

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Horus_Heresy_Series
>>
Night lords trilogy is great
>>
Are there any books that make the 40k universe feel huge and lonely?

Less space opera, less Starcraft cartoony, more grimdark but still well written
>>
>>9445938
I had a crack at a low-key 40k story years ago...

https://warosu.org/tg/thread/14422656
>>
File: 1876501763524.png (263KB, 578x790px) Image search: [Google]
1876501763524.png
263KB, 578x790px
>>9443215

Nah, they're all garb. That's why 40k is largely considered a joke. The author could have, at the start of the book, NOT started writing it, but the author and editors went ahead anyway.

This kind of confirms their absolute stupidity, as the book is horrible and it should have been left alone. Now its almost like the book is haunting them. Because its, a book, I'm sure it doesn't even care either.
>>
>>9447432
what did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1449623597855.jpg (40KB, 644x408px) Image search: [Google]
1449623597855.jpg
40KB, 644x408px
>are there genre-fiction novels that aren't complete garbage?
>>
File: 1480561623027.jpg (58KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1480561623027.jpg
58KB, 300x300px
>>9446075
>tfw scared to read OC in case it sucks and you feel bad for the guy
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.