[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into Marx? Should I jump straight into Das Kapital?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 1hFtTtz.jpg (543KB, 3110x2073px)
1hFtTtz.jpg
543KB, 3110x2073px
How do I get into Marx? Should I jump straight into Das Kapital? Any pre required reading before actually reading him?

I'm not trying to discuss the ideology on itself, I just want to know where do I start with him.
>>
>>9442453
Read Atlas Shrugged, by ayn rand first
>>
>>9442453
GRANDFATHED
>>
>>9442463
>1000 pages describing architecture to share an idea that could be surmised in 10
>>
Marx is incredibly difficult to read and you probably won't get a hundred pages without wanting to kill yourself.

Google the David Harvey lecture series and use that. He's also condensed the same lectures into a book, depending what format you prefer.

A lot of things would help you prepare for Marx. An understanding of certain major parts of Hegel would help, but that's like recommending you climb a mountain as training to climb a smaller mountain. You can get shitty incorrect summaries of Hegel, but there is currently no real easy way to really get the necessary parts of Hegel other than by devoting a shitload of time and energy to it.

Harvey explains in the first lecture some of the major (I think three) traditions Marx is drawing on, but there's other stuff too, and I don't think Harvey mentions the historical dimension. You can't read Marx in a vacuum as some kind of arid economic theorist. You absolutely have to understand him in his historical context or he won't come properly to life for you. Try reading Balzac's The Peasants and getting a little bit of history of the 19th century, maybe use Hobsbawm's _Age of Revolutions._

The first volume of Capital is just really fucking hard. It's slow, slow reading, and you need a guide like Harvey (and probably a lot of googling) to make sure you're putting the pieces in the right places in your mind as Marx is laying them out, and THEN seeing the gradually emerging, living organism that Marx is trying to show you.

But it gets exponentially easier as you go along, and if you actually do read Capital, you'll be one of very few people. No one reads Capital any more. Even grad students studying Marx just fake it, or do stopgap cliff notes methods. For the same reasons outlined above: it's fucking dense and easy to misread.
>>
Aside from reading it, you could try Harvey.
>>
File: Ally points.jpg (25KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
Ally points.jpg
25KB, 500x280px
>>9442507
Nice.

Copy/pasta?
>>
>>9442507
thank you, that was what I was looking for.
>>
>>9442453
A little bit about Feuerbach, Hegel, Kant, Smith and Recardo, maybe Striner. But read only a short condensed summary, if you don't know much about them. His understanding of Kant and Hegel is pretty rudimentary and he often somewhat misrepresents concepts so be carefull. If you are a native German speaker it isn't that hard to read. He is a decent, but somewhat mediocre writter, I can't tell how this plays into the translations.
Much luck.
>>
>>9443363
>Ricardo
And I forgot to mention Rousseau
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g6XaOX8RldHRg_JradONkS99oE6uC5dc9EuyOa5rips/edit
>>
Have those two had sex, you think?
>>
File: Lady_in_Red_by_Ardella.jpg (312KB, 599x900px) Image search: [Google]
Lady_in_Red_by_Ardella.jpg
312KB, 599x900px
>>9443510
Marx and Engels? Yeah, probably.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.