[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, I will start with the Greeks. Can someone post a flowchart

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 1486585277531.png (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1486585277531.png
143KB, 600x600px
Okay, I will start with the Greeks. Can someone post a flowchart or something?
>>
File: 1457321753747.jpg (2MB, 3240x3600px) Image search: [Google]
1457321753747.jpg
2MB, 3240x3600px
Take this and don't come back
>>
>>9436098
That's cruel, giving him the worst chart.

Bubbi, just start with Homer and then roughly follow this catalogue (not necessarily the actual books they're selling, just the authors).

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/features/loeb/timeline.html
>>
>>9436096

Or this:

http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
>>
File: start with the greeks2.jpg (482KB, 1648x2170px) Image search: [Google]
start with the greeks2.jpg
482KB, 1648x2170px
>>9436096
Do you know anything about the greeks to start with? If you do, you can probably jump right to Homer.

If not, stat with a mythology book like Hamilton to get a background.

Then read Hesiod's Theogony because it's short, an original source, and will recap what you just learned but in the moment so to speak.

Then on to the Iliad. The Great Courses companion lectures are good, interesting and helpful, and don't be shy about using a map so you can see where everyone is from.
>>
>>9436119
>http://www.hup.harvard.edu/features/loeb/timeline.html
the chart is better. for example reading pseudo-apollodorus' library of legends early makes more sense than waiting until one has read everything until 100AD
>>
>>9436098
hey /lit/ help me with "the Greeks"

sure OP!
>Sophists
>early Greek philosophy
>Republic
>NO SOCRATIC DIALOGUES

fuck this chart, fuck you, don't come back. i hope your boat sinks and your car gets hit by a meteor.
>>
>>9436227
The chart is worse because it wastes your time with inane secondary literature that you don't need any of, especially not in the digital age. If we're being generous with what counts as an original source, the chart has about 20. There are many dozens of others that any good reader of classics should tackle from the period the chart covers, and if you use the timeline I posted - roughly, as I said - you will not miss out on any of them. The Apollodorus issue is the only worthwhile feature of the chart that one wouldn't get by following the timeline to a t. Rather than wasting your time and skipping so much, I would simply recommend appropriating that particular element and ignoring the rest of the chart.
>>
>>9436259
>The Last Days of Socrates
>The Republic

I hate that chart, but please read it before you shit on it.
>>
>>9436292
I listed Republic, you big dummy. The Last Days of Socrates is what, Apology? Crito? That's nothing. Please try keeping your autism in check next time.
>>
>>9436308
Those are all Socratic dialogues you silly goose
>>
>>9436098
This chart is shit, here's the best order
>Homer
>anything post Homer
>>
>>9436096
read this then go to the wike for the charts
>>
>>9436445
I recently bought this from Thriftbooks. How essential is this? Also is this the type of book I'd want to read all at once or little by little in between other books?
>>
>>9436481
Don't read it at all. It's Wikipedia with less information and more lists.
>>
>>9436481
Read straight through. It's a good overall primer.
>>
>>9436481
It depends on how much you know about the mythology already.

Greek mythology > poetry > drama > philosophy > history

It's the essence of the thing. Everything of theirs you read will be enriched by your grounding in mythology.
>>
File: 36 - lokYbri.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
36 - lokYbri.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>actually starting with the greeks
>>
Currently reading the Iliad and having fun.

Am i doing something wrong?
>>
>>9436978
Nope, carry on.
>>
>>9436978
The Iliad is a blast. Have you gotten to the part where Diomedes goes on a rampage and wounds TWO gods?
>>
>>9436308
Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, and Phaedo are all Socratic dialogues you scrub. There are obviously more that can and should be read, but you'll have a hard time drawing a line where you should stop reading Plato. There's no easy answer besides "read it all."
>>
>>9436195
I have a relatively decent grasp of Greek mythology, is there a need to read a Mythology book before tucking into Homer do you think?
>>
>>9437958
No, but read this to get started

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Hes.%20Th.
>>
>>9436096
It's on the wiki you ultimate faggot
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.