[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good books that present the argument between virtue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: kant.jpg (139KB, 964x1388px) Image search: [Google]
kant.jpg
139KB, 964x1388px
What are some good books that present the argument between virtue ethics, and Utilitarian Ethics? I'm trying to decide on my personal moral position, and I've already rejected Virtue Ethics, (too uber-individualist, and relies largely on cultural norms), Egoism, (only useful to edgy teens, and psychopaths), and Religious Ethics, (atheist). So, I'd really like to see a good argument between these two points, laid out plainly.
>>
virtue ethics is the only thing that makes sense. Aristotle had it down about 2500 years ago. Ethics is not something 'out there'. Cultural norms are something you just have to accept. But you can demand people are consistent. If you realise that most people are hypocrites it's a good theory.
>>
>>9435842
I'm reading ethics right now and unironically modeling a moral code and my behavior on it.

What problems can I expect to run into?
>>
>>9435907
>what problems can I expect to run into?
Nothing much, besides not even thinking of applying e.g. Kantian ethics in 99% of your everyday life, and in the remaining 1% - when you actually contemplate about which moral decision to take - the decisive thought will not be any maxim, but your own sensus communis, the notion of cultivated virtue which renders immediate decision making in the domain of moral possible with more certainty than any theoretical construction could possibly dream of.

also, I'm not the same anon as >>9435842
>>
>>9435803
>hasn't taken the Nietzschean turn in ethics as a given
N. was all for questioning your educators but when everything you want to turn back to is degenerate nonsense at this point, don't.
>>
>>9435803
>Religious Ethics
So you mean the only kind of the ethics with any sort of structure and the only kind that doesn't fall apart after a few minutes of questioning?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.