[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is MacIntyre such a fucking retard? > hurr durr we need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: alasdairjpg.jpg (134KB, 810x685px) Image search: [Google]
alasdairjpg.jpg
134KB, 810x685px
Why is MacIntyre such a fucking retard?

> hurr durr we need to return to virtue ethics to fix moral discourse of modernity
> hurr durr we need to bring back Aristotle's functional concepts and telos to have common ground

Like, how do philosophy professors at universities even take this guy seriously?
>>
yo stfu
>>
>>9433660
He has degrees and you don't
If you get into academy, then you can probably throw your opinion and be taken seriously

I don't think shitposting here fixes the issue.
>>
>>9433660
you havent read any of his books have you
>>
>>9433699
yo stfu
>>
oo boy when pinky wakes up he'll have a go
>>
we and common ground are admittedly terri-bad ideas

he's still smarter than either of us tho and would destroy you in a debate

lowkey i wish i was in school again

life is difficult
>>
http://www.philosophy.uncc.edu/mleldrid/cmt/mmp.html
>>
Ya gonna say why?
>>
>>9433920
> Kant introduces the idea of “legislating for oneself,” which is as absurd as if in these days, when majority votes command great respect, one were to call each reflective decision a man made a vote resulting in a majority, which as a matter of proportion is overwhelming, for it is always 1-0. The concept of legislation requires superior power in the legislator. His own rigoristic convictions on the subject of lying were so intense that it never occurred to him that a lie could be relevantly described as anything but just a lie (e.g. as “a lie in such-and-such circumstances”). His rule about universalizable maxims is useless without stipulations as to what shall count as a relevant description of an action with a view to constructing a maxim about it.
Er, no, if "lie in such-and-such circumstances" were a universal maxim, then it wouldn't work since lied-to would know it was a lie, since the maxim is universal.
>>
>>9433660

I own and have read 'After Virtue.'

I used to sympathize with MacIntyre but nowadays he strikes me as fundamentally reactionary.

Also, the book ends weakly.
>>
>>9434137
He's just a Catholic
>>
>>9434151

What's the difference? :^)
>>
>>9433660
His diagnose of "the failure of the enlightenment project" is spot on imo. He misrepresented Kant, but there are other objections to be raised against that lad.
I'm half way through After Virtue right now. Is the second half, where he gives his positive account of ethics, worth it or is that as much of a failure as the ethics he criticizes in the first half?
>>
>>9433660
is there anything to this guy beyond "dude bring back Christianity lmao"
>>
>>9433660
shit thread

sage
>>
>>9433660

Who the fuck knows?

>dude apologize for slavery America LOL
>>
posting in a rare thread

p.s. anybody read Varieties of Goodness by G.H.V. Wright?
>>
>>9434158
There is none, that's why I'm both.
>>9434137
Right now he's the arch-reactionary of political philosophy. And I love it.
>>9434355
It's not as good because his positive account was not thomistic enough. The sequels handle that part a lot better.
>>
>>9433660
Like, duh, maybe you should kinda like, like you know, like duh..?
>>
...at least he's not a consequentialist.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.