[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>highly recommended modern book >comes to chapter 3 or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: ready-player-one.jpg (360KB, 1038x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ready-player-one.jpg
360KB, 1038x1600px
>highly recommended modern book
>comes to chapter 3 or so
>the main character and his friend brags about how much they know about oasis(the virtual world that they are inside), 80's movie and video game trivia.
>they are basically jacking each other off
>it's fucking disgusting

I can't belive that i got tricked into reading this book.
>>
It's Reddit the book dude
>>
Can anyone tell me what components make something reddit-tier? So far I have
>Athiesm
>Liberalism
>Video Games
>Randomness
>Degeneracy
>>
>>9432306
Nostalgia. Definitely nostalgia.
>>
>>9432306
perpetual pop culture references
>>
>>9432306
Faux sincerity
>>
>>9432261
>willy wonka meets the matrix
That shit is right on the cover and you still bought it. You did it to yourself homie.
>>
>>9432306
puns
socially liberal but probably believes in the free market
white knighting
involuntary celibacy and self-flagellation
being underage
being way too old to visit an underage site
pop culture (late adoption)
'nerd' culture
overdramatic shifts between gravity and levity
being a bourgeois gentilhomme
>>
someone post the page that's just a list of references.
>>
>>9432413
Holy shit I just saw that. Who the fuck wrote that and though: "Yes, this will get people interested in the book"
>>
>>9432419
>white knighting
Reddit is actually militantly misogynistic.
>>
>>9432413
>>9432433
Holy shit i didn't notice that. I got the same book art, but they removed that. I guess they realized that it sounds stupid.
>>
>>9432434
i dont go there i just see whatever obnoxious screencaps people post here. im guessing it depends on the sub but your words give me some hope for the future of this board in the face of le reddit invasion
>>
>>9432306
Capitalism
>>
>>9432413
That sounds great.
>>
>>9432261

I enjoyed it but I could outgame them easily.
>>
>>9432383
do you considr Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao reddit-tier
>>
>>9432306
4chan but remove logic and responsibility
>>
File: 83271737237.jpg (284KB, 1161x869px) Image search: [Google]
83271737237.jpg
284KB, 1161x869px
>references to pop culture are bad
>but let me ejaculate over muh canon because the writers are constantly making inane references to each other but it's not pop culture so it's literary
>>
>>9432574
There is a difference between an allusion to a well known work and literally "I KNOW ABOUT THIS ONE THING IN THIS VIDEO GAME AND THIS MAKES ME A NERD, HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS!" for 200 pages.
>>
>>9432574
>>9432582
Yeah, imagine if Joyce wrote Ulysses like this:

>and I knew I had to know everything. I was obsessed. I read the bible, front to back--the whole ordeal. I knew the gospels by heart: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, oh John that rascal. The capital T Truth is that I read the entire western canon too. I wasn't going to dissapoint. Anything that'd put me on Shakespeare's level (though he didn't read as much, which I knew and know, obviously) was something I would read,

And Joyce's allusions, on top of them being allusions rather than lists, are wayyyy beyond The Bible. Good God.
>>
>>9432553
Absolutely. It's fucking terrible.
>>
>>9432306
every one of those things can be applied to 4chan.
the divide between us and reddit is reddit's rabid hivemind of complimenting and jacking eachother off.

on 4chan we insult and criticize eachother.
>>
>>9432261
Had some good nostalgia but other than that not very impressive. The SJW message with the fat nigger masquerading as the privileged white male was trash. The author will be a one hit wonder.
>>
>>9432261
You should have known better.
>>
>>9432306
It must not be, in any way, intellectually challenging or it will be labeled pretentious by those who couldn't finish it.
>>
>>9432659
>Anything that'd put me on Shakespeare's level (though he didn't read as much, which I knew and know, obviously) was something I would read,

This is actually funny.
I'd read a whole novel about a pretentious nerd like this if it was a little self aware
>>
>>9432375
but not real nostalgia that only an individual could understand, but the commercialized pop-culture nostalga crap that you get when you try to find pictures and videos of historical events and daily life in the 90s/80s
>>
>>9432261
to me, the whole book came across as an excuse for wasting time consuming so much media.
>>
File: 7793.jpg (855KB, 1758x2620px) Image search: [Google]
7793.jpg
855KB, 1758x2620px
I'm honestly planning on reading pic related at some point for a better nostalgia reference marathon.
>>
>>9432261
I found this in Value Village last night in new condition but didn't buy it. Did I make a mistake or is the meme true?
>>
>>9433068
If it was at Value Village it was probably $1, and you wouldn't be giving money to the author. You probably should have satisfied your curiosity. Then again, your time is probably better spent reading something else.
>>
>>9433068
I usually tolerate most stuff, but RPO really is absolute garbage.
>>
>>9432442
Or maybe they added it for a later edition...?
>>
Every thread
>“I wish someone had just told me the truth right up front, as soon as I was old enough to understand it. I wish someone had just said: “Here’s the deal, Wade. You’re something called a ‘human being.’ That’s a really smart kind of animal. Like every other animal on this planet, we’re descended from a single-celled organism that lived millions of years ago. This happened by a process called evolution, and you’ll learn more about it But trust me, that’s really how we all got here. There’s proof of it everywhere, buried in the rocks. That story you heard? About how we were all created by a super-powerful dude named God who lives up in the sky? Total bullshit. The whole God thing is actually an ancient fairy tale that people have been telling one another for thousands of years. We made it all up. Like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. “Oh, and by the way … there’s no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny. Also bullshit. Sorry, kid Deal with it.”
>>
>>9432306
>>Randomness
Its this you dumbass
>>
>>9433144
>atheism that posits affirmative belief that god does not exist rather than negative belief that god exists
There aren't enough trashcans in the world to hold this opinion
>>
>>9433144
>Ancient fairy tale.

*Tips*
>>
>>9432261
I loved this book.
It's so much better than IJ and GR.
4chan sucks ass.
>>
>>9432306

Bill Watterson, Terry Pratchett, Alan Watts, that sort of thing.
>>
File: 1489269242965.jpg (27KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489269242965.jpg
27KB, 640x480px
>>9433427
>>
>>9432812
So... self-loathing is the key to wisdom?
>>
some guy I met recommended this book to me and because of that he's been DROPPED and I haven't replied to him since
>>
>>9433519
Yes. Self-loathing is the fountain of all self-overcoming.
>>
>>9433579
Good on you.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.