[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite fact about literature that not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 16

What's your favorite fact about literature that not many people know?
>>
This photo makes me so angry.
>>
>>9430451
>When asked "What was Capote doing that you didn't like?" Vidal shouted: "Lying! The one thing I hate most on this earth. Which is why I do not have a friendly time with journalists." He called Capote's death "a good career move" and added "Every generation gets the Tiny Tim it deserves."

>Vidal was a frequent critic of the writings of John Updike, complaining that the author of the Rabbit series “describes to no purpose”. Vidal also told The Partisan Review: "With me the problem is that Updike doesn’t write about anything that interests me. I am not concerned with middle-class suburban couples. On the other hand, I’m not concerned with adultery in the French provinces either. Yet Flaubert commands my attention. I don’t know why Updike doesn’t." He was more explicit in later life, saying: "I can't stand Updike. Nobody will think to ask because I'm supposedly jealous; but I out-sell him. I'm more popular than he is, and I don't take him very seriously... oh, he comes on like the worker's son, like a modern-day DH Lawrence, but he's just another boring little middle-class boy hustling his way to the top if he can do it."

>Norman Mailer once punched Vidal at a party after the writer had given him a bad review. Still on the floor, Vidal declared: "Once again, words fail Norman Mailer." Their lengthy literary feud continued and Mailer also reportedly headbutted Vidal before an appearance on the Dick Cavett TV show, after Vidal compared him to infamous killer Charles Manson. When Mailer once said that "Vidal lacks the wound" (a reference to his privileged upbringing), Vidal snapped: "Privileged? You mean more privileged than a fat boy from South Africa with a doting mother?"

>When Watership Down,author Richard Adams, on That Was The Week That Was, called Vidal's work "meretricious", Vidal shot back: "Really? Well, meretricious to you and a happy new year."

>Vidal said of John Simon: “English is his third language and some of us were thinking about getting up a fund and sending him back to Berlitz for the remainder of the English language course.”

>"As far as I'm concerned," Vidal told him, "the only sort of pro- or crypto-Nazi I can think of is yourself." "Now listen, you queer," Buckley replied. "Stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in your goddamn face and you'll stay plastered . . . I was in the infantry in the last war." "You were not," Vidal replied. "I was." "You were not."

>When asked later 'Where is your friend Mr Buckley?”, the writer feigned surprise before replying: “Oh, Buckley. He’s over at the Wallace headquarters stitching hoods”.

Gore Vidal quotes
>>
are blacks actually this fucking retarded
>>
>>9430473
It's no less retarded than the way /pol/ believes every Jewish accomplishment ever was secretly stolen from a white person.
>>
>>9430460
Don't let it. Let the fact that women and non-whites are so inept in the arts and thinking that they are only able to appropriate the works of white males, because their kind has not produced anything of value in thousands of years of civilization.
>>
>>9430479
so blacks ARE actually this fucking retarded is what you're trying to say
>>
>>9430487
Well no because most black people don't believe that just like most white people aren't /pol/tards.
>>
AYO
>>
>>9430490
>Well no because most black people don't believe
you're giving them wayyyy too much credit
>>
File: 1491575901101.jpg (99KB, 627x442px) Image search: [Google]
1491575901101.jpg
99KB, 627x442px
we was kings.
In one of my education courses, my professor went on a tirade about how the Greeks would go down to Egypt and "steel" all their knowledge. I cannot stand how white people are fixated on building up black people at the cost of delegitimizing others. It's so counterproductive.
>>
>>9430472
>Norman Mailer once punched Vidal at a party after the writer had given him a bad review. Still on the floor, Vidal declared: "Once again, words fail Norman Mailer."
this shit is straight out of hark! a vagrant
>>
>>9430472
I love Vidal so much. He' such an arse
>>9430451
Hans Christian Andersen used write gay love letters to his friends, which his friends kindly ignored, and so Andersen kept writing them, feeling they had perhaps not heard enough.
He loved Dickens' work and came to visit the author in London. At first Dickens was flattered and had invited Andersen to stay, with Andersen's promise he would "not inconvenience [him] too much". Apparently the authors had a different opinion of what was too much and despite Dickens' repeated hints, it took five weeks to get him out of the house. Dickens wrote on the mirror in the room after Andersen's departure "Hans Andersen slept in this room for five weeks - which seemed to the family AGES!". Andersen was perplexed why Dickens did not answer his letters any further, but kept sending them.
>>
Now I know this is a /pol/ thread but I only recently heard about this:

>In 1673, during a production of his final play, The Imaginary Invalid, Molière, who suffered from pulmonary tuberculosis, was seized by a coughing fit and a haemorrhage while playing the hypochondriac Argan. He finished the performance but collapsed again and died a few hours later.

That's even better than Tommy Cooper.
>>
>>9430518
This is true though. Read Herodotus. Aside from the Nubian dynasty Egyptians were not blacks, but that doesnt mean that Greeks werent engaged in a brisk bronze age trade with the levant and eastern Mediterranean. Greek cities were podunk towns and Egypt was the megalopolis.
>>
>>9430527
>Tommy Cooper
fuck I remember when that happened
>And he died, just like that
>>
>>9430517
I'm not. Most black people are fairly and unremarkable.
>>
>>9430473
To be fair, whites did the same thing: invent a history of their people to give them a sense of identity.
>>
>>9430518
>Egypt
>black

WE
>>
PG Wodehouse did broadcasts for the Nazis when he was captured in Germany. Everyone who knew him agreed it had not been treason, as Wodehouse would have done anything if you asked him politely. The broadcasts were entitled "How to be an Internee Without Any Previous Training" and contain such gems as
>I never was interested in politics. I'm quite unable to work up any kind of belligerent feeling. Just as I'm about to feel belligerent about some country I meet a decent sort of chap. We go out together and lose any fighting thoughts or feelings.
>>
>>9430473
One ignant black wimmin =/= black people as a whole.

t. black guy who reads Mishima.
>>
>>9430481
You know I was going to call you out for casting such a broad net, but I can't think of any Black or female authors I've enjoyed. Have I just not read enough?
>>
100 Years of Solitude was originally a collection of movie scripts that Garcia was trying to get off the ground in Mexico. He was told by a critic (or friend, dont remember which) that "you're not grabbing anyone" so he gathered the scripts and wrote One Hundo. He was also friends with Fidel Castro and in a public conference along side him, Garcia stated that Cinema and the visual arts were the future of narrative, to which Fidel replied "Cuál futuro?" what future?
>>
>>9430460

Why? It's just /pol/ falseflagging to make Black Egyptians look ridiculous
>>
>>9430585
I get your point but why specificly point out Mishima? He's not a particularly challenging writer.
>>
>>9430590
*cough* Alexandre Dumas *cough* You illiterate faggot.
>>
>>9430585
This.

Speaking as a black dude, the "WE WUZ KANGZ, WE IS PROUD NUBIAN GODS AND GODDESSES, WHITEY DONE CHEATED US" crowd is a very vocal minority. Most black people aren't like that.

And like someone else said, it could be /pol/ or something falseflagging anyway, although since some people are actually that stupid... it's kinda hard to tell.
>>
>>9430590
>Have I just not read enough?
You probably haven't read enough. Or have been reading the wrong kinds of books. No SJW is going to tell you to read Pimp or Nightwood, but they're written by two of the best prose stylists in the 20th C.
>>
>>9430590
Yes, there are plenty.

Beloved gets shit on alot, but Song of Solomon does not. Toni Morrison may be overrated, but thats because she is that adored.

Also, Marlon James would be the Novelist Laureate if we had one
>>
>>9430607

What's a Nubian?
>>
>>9430607
>it's libtard pretending to be black
niggers can't read, silly cuckold
>>
>>9430614
It's an old name for black people from around what is now Northern Sudan/Southern Egypt.
>>
Goethe couldn't write without a rotting apple in his desk.
>>
>>9430590
Is Ben Okri any good?
>>
>>9430481
>being this pathetic
>>
Agatha Christie once staged her own disappearance for 11 days, resulting in an international manhunt, because her husband wanted to divorce to marry his new lover. She was eventually found, staying under the name of his mistress at a hotel, and claimed to have no knowledge she'd been feared missing/dead, and to have total amnesia of the events that lead her to stay in the hotel under an assumed name for 10 nights.
>>
>>9430593
>he's naïve enough to think it's just falseflagging
>>
Dorothy L Sayers came up with the tagline Guinness is Good for You, while working in advertising before writing novels.
>>
>>9430532

how is that stealing you stupid fuck? were the egyptians losing their culture every time greek merchants departed?
>>
>>9430680

even niggers aren't that stupid homey
>>
>>9430597
He was far right though.
>>
>>9430518
Pythagoras allegedly went to egypt. Although theres no real proof and these egyptians were not actually black.
>>
>>9430472
Holy shit, Vidal was fucking savage
>>
>>9430472

> Vidal said of John Simon: “English is his third language and some of us were thinking about getting up a fund and sending him back to Berlitz for the remainder of the English language course.”

holy shit Vidal lmao you mega cunt
>>
>>9430472
is Vidal the original G, putting out diss tracks?
>>
>>9430585

mishima sucks faggot
>>
HOLUP
YOU WAS SAYIN
WE WUZ
>>
File: image.jpg (195KB, 1184x1184px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195KB, 1184x1184px
>>9430705
you'd be surprised
https://youtube.com/watch?v=r9oALeQHf0c
>>
>>9430705
Are you sure?
>>
>>9430788

Please save this for a kangz thread that's actually funny.

Most of us are familiar with your memes. I go to /pol/ for a laugh every now and then. Sometimes with, mostly at. We come here to discuss literature, though.
>>
>>9430472
>...American society, literary or lay, tends to be humorless. What other culture could have produced someone like Hemingway and not seen the joke?

Why was Vidal such a saucy bitch?
>>
>>9430781
You can say that all you want but we know it to be untrue.
>>
fasdggfdFGFFFFGDGDFFGDFASDFD
>>
>>9430532
>This is true though. Read Herodotus.
In which part does Herodotus narrate theft of technology by Greeks?
By the time Greece rose to relevance, Egypt had degenerated to the state of 650AD Italy compared to 100BC Rome. There was nothing to be stolen there, except perhaps the memory of a once-great empire.
>>
>>9430705
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvJK1mCjcKw
>>
>>9430473
Please stop generalizing all black people. You see equally retarded posts from people from other races as well. Go to the NatGeo Facebook page, look at the comments. Filled with retarded white people. Doesn't mean all white people are retards. More than 50% of Americans believe that ghosts exist. It's unfair to draw conclusions about huge groups of people from just a few examples.
>>
>>9430808

Yasss queen slayyyyyyy
>>
>>9431072
>please stop generalizing
>please stop using general concepts
>please stop using thought and language
>>
>>9430590
I enjoy Frankenstein and the Alexiad
>>
>>9430742
I think the issue is calling normal cross-cultural diffusion "theft"
Pythagoras worked for 20 years just to be allowed into the Egyptian mystery schools, same with Platos grandfather
>>
>>9430705
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6TS3fcrVQ0
>>
>>9430808

Dude was born into the closest thing America ever produced to an old school aristocracy, gay, and smart as hell. Such combinations do not produce ordinary men.
>>
File: 1488517025336.png (432KB, 515x587px) Image search: [Google]
1488517025336.png
432KB, 515x587px
>>9430585
>>9430607
Black guy, reporting in.
Seconding these posts.
This isn't a "black" thing. No one substantial thinks Shakespeare was a black woman. No one substantial thinks African Americans descended from ancient Egyptians. you can obviously cherrypick some idiots on Twitter and construct a strawman around a false ideology and label it your "opposition", they do it too. Crazy radical liberals cherrypick /pol/ posts to oppress themselves and fabricate an enemy.
But the fact is it's a very very vocal minority of triggered dumbasses straining for relevance.
no one actually takes /pol/ seriously except /pol/ themselves and the Twitter/tumblr warriors looking for reasons to feel oppressed and God knows they don't read except to affirm their presumptions and reinforce their ideologies
>>
>>9431072
>he doesn't believe in ghosts
I've been through some spooky shit. I could tell you some legitimate ghost stories.
>>
>>9430518
HOL UP BRUH SO U SAYING EGYPT WUZ BLACK?
>>
https://twitter.com/Crystal1Johnson/status/856274911547072514
It's not a false flag
tons of black AND WHITE people were believing it and retweeting it a couple days ago. so if you those black people are stupid then white people must be stupid too
>>
>>9433153
The fact you have to explain this says more about the people youre directing this to than anything else.
>>
>>9433215
>/lit/ is retarded
wow you sure figured out something new there
>>
File: ltKosherBardHUDSON[1].jpg (16KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
ltKosherBardHUDSON[1].jpg
16KB, 225x300px
The guy who came up with the theory is a white man, John Hudson.
http://shakespeareoxfordfellowship.org/wp-content/uploads/Oxfordian2009_Hudson_Bassano.pdf
>This paper proposes a new approach to attribution studies, suggesting the poet Aemelia Bassano Lanier (hereafter Amelia) as a new candidate for the primary authorship of Shakespeare’s works. A. L. Rowse, Stephanie Hopkins Hughes and Martin Green have already linked her to the so-called ‘dark lady’ of the Sonnets.

>Brought to London from Venice in 1538/9, the dark-skinned Bassanos, some of whom were described in contemporary records as ‘black’

>The song most mentioned in the plays, where it appears four times, is ‘King Cophetua and the Beggar Maid.’ The reason for this extraordinary musical knowledge has never been explained.

>However having a family of whom at least 15 were professional musicians, including her son, her husband, and her first cousin, the composer Robert Johnson, would fit with this background. Moreover as a young ‘black’ girl living with the rumored son of Henry VIII, in a princely palace, Somerset House, it is plausible to suppose why Amelia would have been especially interested in a song in which a king falls in love with a young black girl from the streets.

White people are the retarded ones.
>>
File: butthurt.jpg (35KB, 600x455px) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.jpg
35KB, 600x455px
>>9430645
>being this butthurt
>>
>>9433260
SO IF YOU SAYING WHITEY IS STUPID SO WE WUZ INTELIGENT NAW?
>>
>>9430601
AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
>>
>>9430451
OP is a faggot
>>
File: listenhereyouqueer.jpg (25KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
listenhereyouqueer.jpg
25KB, 432x432px
>>9430472
The ones against Buckley are Jon Oliver-tier
>HURR DURR you're a nazi
>HURR DURR you're a racist
Pretty lame for someone who was quite witty.
>>
>>9430582

George Orwell's essay In Defence of P. G. Wodehouse is great. All of George Orwell's essays are great also.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olqPODTcRHI

but shakespeare was black
>>
>>9430688
It's called intellectual property. Personally I don't believe in it, but most redpillers I've known seem to, and never see the hypocrisy of this argument.
>>
File: 12345687686543.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
12345687686543.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>9433260
>linked her to the so-called ‘dark lady’ of the Sonnets
>>
File: Maude_Gonne_McBride_nd.jpg (683KB, 2441x3564px) Image search: [Google]
Maude_Gonne_McBride_nd.jpg
683KB, 2441x3564px
>>9430635
Neat.

Maud Gonne, the woman and muse that Yeats yearned after, consistently rejected him and when Yeats said he was sad because of that, she said that he was lying. She said that since he had his poems and because of her his poems were spectacular, that there could be no way that he was sad. Gonne stated that girls do the world a favor when they deny poets' advances.

When she finally did reciprocate Yeats's love and they slept together, his poetry started to suffer and she stood by her theory.
>>
>>9430460
>>9430473
https://twitter.com/Crystal1Johnson/status/856274911547072514

it has over 30,000 retweets and almost 40,000 favorites
>>
File: 1493250377755.jpg (70KB, 963x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1493250377755.jpg
70KB, 963x1010px
>>9430479
>>
>>9433787
I'd be a broken man forever if I DID sleep with that thing.
>>
>>9430593
you gotta browse some hotep facebook groups and get woke my nigger
>>
File: 1493243679065.jpg (264KB, 960x695px) Image search: [Google]
1493243679065.jpg
264KB, 960x695px
>>9430645
>>
File: 1427229615568.jpg (35KB, 320x501px) Image search: [Google]
1427229615568.jpg
35KB, 320x501px
>>9434288
You are a faggot, kill yourself.
>>
>>9434232

There's actually black people in those comments making ironic we wuz kangs memes XD

I had no idea /pol/'s memes were this influential.
>>
>>9430705
so naive, cute.
>>
>>9434303
On the contrary my main man, if I were a somdomite with a beastiality bend I might have enjoyed the graces of that creature, if no other mammals were available.
>>
>>9430479
nobody on /pol/ believes this you moron.
>>9430473
ye
>>
>>9430593
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but people actually think like this. Check out some of their Facebook pages and be amazed at their stupidity.
>>
>>9430532
And the Nubian dynasty was the second last before he Persians took over
>>
>>9434305
you don't know about memetic warfare kid?
>>
>>9430607
Prove you're black
>>
>>9430607
>or something falseflagging anyway
The correct term here is, ironically, 'black propaganda'
>>
>>9430451
Capote wrote To Kill a Mockingbird for Harper Lee
>>
Thats probably why Black culture are focus on lyrical poetry such as Hip Hip.
They literally BLACKED literature.
>>
>>9430460
sore loser
>>
>>9430472
>''In 1999, in the lecture "The Folly of Mass Immigration", presented in Dublin, Vidal said:

>A characteristic of our present chaos is the dramatic migration of tribes. They are on the move from east to west, from south to north. Liberal tradition requires that borders must always be open to those in search of safety, or even the pursuit of happiness. But now, with so many millions of people on the move, even the great-hearted are becoming edgy. Norway is large enough and empty enough to take in 40 to 50 million homeless Bengalis. If the Norwegians say that, all in all, they would rather not take them in, is this to be considered racism? I think not. It is simply self-preservation, the first law of species.[98]''

is he, i dare derive it from first principles, /ourguy/ ?
>>
>>9433189

MOAR@!!!!!!
>>
File: alt-rightist.jpg (83KB, 960x692px) Image search: [Google]
alt-rightist.jpg
83KB, 960x692px
>>9434301
>>
File: smugkissinger.jpg (77KB, 472x467px) Image search: [Google]
smugkissinger.jpg
77KB, 472x467px
>>9434301
>>9435284
>people say the horseshoe theory isn't at least semi-accurate
>>
>>9435405
>yfw you realize Kissenger said "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac" because he got horrendous amounts of tail
>with kissenger's face
>>
>>9430451
Well, its true or NAH.?
>>
>>9430472
>>When Watership Down,author Richard Adams, on That Was The Week That Was, called Vidal's work "meretricious", Vidal shot back: "Really? Well, meretricious to you and a happy new year."
Fucking kek
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.