[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best publisher of paperbacks and why is it the Viking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: portables-bystyle.jpg (720KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
portables-bystyle.jpg
720KB, 1600x1200px
What is the best publisher of paperbacks and why is it the Viking Portable Library?
>>
>Excerpts.
>>
i wish i could read
>>
it's penguin cause they also published all of the viking portable library
>>
>>9429443
awe, i have portable conrad. wish i could give it to ya pal
>>
File: IMG_7804.jpg (71KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7804.jpg
71KB, 1200x675px
Penguin because their footnotes are useful and unobtrusive. Moby Dick had diagrams of all the parts of a ship. And they actually give a shit about quality translations.
>>
>>9430380
Penguin is mostly shit, you are an idiot
>>
>>9430389
Not an argument.
>>
>>9430395
"I browse /pol/ on my iphone" isn't exactly adding to your credibility either, I don't feel like spoonfeeding you, you are an idiot.
>>
File: IMG_7978.jpg (242KB, 598x792px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7978.jpg
242KB, 598x792px
>>9430406
>>
>>9430406
What's wrong with you?
>>
vintage
their covers are always so aesthetic
>>
>>9430960
RED
SPINES
>>
File: IMG_2824.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2824.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Unless the reviews tell me that a certain translation is utter trash I try to stick with penguin
>>
>>9431186
I'd be more worried about the paper/binding quality
>>
>>9430389
Not really, it depends on the book and on the edition of the book, but there are times Penguin is better than other publishers. For example, their editions of Byron are better than the Oxford one.
>>
>>9431700
That true i dont know , like there's modern library if I can afford it at the time I'll go for it or everymans library but for the most part penguin has not failed me unless the translation is straight up shit but I'll try to read the reviews on it , like for Camus I've gone vintage international , for Kant I've gone modern library etc really depends on a lot of things I suppose and what you said as well , it sounds gay but yeah I try to be specific about which publisher I go with
>>
File: nyrb.jpg (200KB, 461x371px) Image search: [Google]
nyrb.jpg
200KB, 461x371px
NYRB is the undisputed best paperback published when it comes to quality.
>>
>>9431186
What's that fatass Everyman's on top of the middle stack?
>>
File: IMG_2860.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2860.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Monte cristo
>>
>>9431724
monte cristo bro
>>
>>9431723
This so hard. My copy of Stoner is so lovely
>>
>>9430960
Also, their spines are thick, hard and grainy. They feel like quality. I always buy vintage when I can because they're the only paperback that I can read with one hand by wrapping the pages over each other cause the spine is so damn strong.
>>
>>9431987
This triggers me.
Can you not just put your thumb between the pages like any normal person? This is the first time I've ever wanted to frogpost.
>>
>>9430406
>404 argument not found
>>
>>9431723
Agreed, especially because they publish obscure (to Americans) books.
>>
>>9430406
Do you have an argument or not?
>>
>>9430380
>actually give a shit about quality translations.

???

what language are you reading Moby Dick in?
>>
>>9432945
He didn't say money dick was translated , he is saying the edition which he has , has diagrams and maps in full detail to go along with the book , other books that were translated by certain people and printed under penguin 7/10 have good translation qualities
>>
Damn autocorrect I meant moby dick
>>
>>9431987

Do you know what's also thick, hard and grainy?
>>
>>9429443
nice shelf. I have some old vikings on my shelf. Paper quality is amazing
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.