[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question for you Starbucks drinking capitalist christians.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1492689167155.png (231KB, 1280x809px) Image search: [Google]
1492689167155.png
231KB, 1280x809px
I have a question for you Starbucks drinking capitalist christians.
If morality and the justification for equality comes from religion, how is it possible that the US had slaves?
If we are created equals,how is it possible that those "Christians" owned slaves. And what triggered the liberation of those slaves? Could it be enlightenment ideas whose origin is the progress of science?
>>
>If morality and the justification for equality comes from religion, how is it possible that the US had slaves?

Self-interest on the profit of slavery overwrote religious and thus moral concerns.

Dumb frogposter
>>
>>9428805
Slavery is a-okay with the Christian Bible. Makes sense in that everyone is supposed to be God's slave anyway
>>
>>9428805
>what triggered the liberation of those slaves?
They were ultimately not needed anymore. We originally had slaves because there were not enough colonists willing to do dangerous and difficult labor, and not enough people willing to pay a high price to those willing to do said labor.

Most slaves were originally heathens, so christian's believed that it was morally justified to keep them as slaves, so long as they instill the word of god in them.
>>
>>9428805

Just because you were born Christian doesn't make you devout. People who strongly identify as Christians usually make an effort to act like one.

Cotton Gin.
>>
>>9428805
>Starbucks drinking capitalist christians

No.

>If morality and the justification for equality comes from religion, how is it possible that the US had slaves?

Most keep in mind that most US Christians are Pr*testants with a million different views about everything. Christianity doesn't essentially forbid slavery, though I would say that historically speaking is has sympathised more with abolition than with slavery.

Abolitionism existed before the enlightenment. Louis X had a dimmer few of slavery than many enlightenment figures like Napoleon did despite living centuries earlier. Slavery wasn't abolished in most places until after the Enlightenment was over.

Science has nothing to do with abolitionism. Science is a tool, it can't form policy. Science was often used to justify racism.
>>
>>9428805
the bible condones slavery dummy
>>
>>9428828
Slaves were almost exclusively working on relatively safe labor in America. They were only present in the South and they were too expensive, as they were also women and children, for anything other than plantation work. So cotton, tabacco and things like that.
t. Democracy in America
>>
>>9428805

The US in general is not a Christian country and represents almost none of Christs teachings.
>>
God the Father is the Demiurge.
>>
>>9430063
Things like cutting sugarcane is the dangerous work I was referring to.
>>
>>9430186
That work took place in the Caribbean, and the mortality rate was too high to maintain over the long term once the slave trade had been abolished.
>>
>>9428805
"Tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to talk back, not to pilfer, but to show complete and perfect fidelity, so that in everything they may be an ornament to the doctrine of God our Savior."

-St. Paul

of course, this does not assume the changing norms and taboos of a post-enlightenment society, where human bondage was equated with the abhorred dynasts of europe. Also, the abolitionist movement in the north was very much religiously motivated. And of course, being a Christian does not mean acting like one. The Crusaders werent exactly living their life from the sermon on the mount.
>>
File: 1890.jpg (167KB, 826x855px) Image search: [Google]
1890.jpg
167KB, 826x855px
>>9428805
Equality is not a Christian value. Of course, equal value of soul is. Christian model is a kingdom.
Slavery is not the only way to be unequal, but it most certainly is the only way to be equal.
>>
>>9430207
You're right, but it was still work that the colonists needed to have done. It was one of the reasons that they imported so many slaves.
>>
>>9430177
So you say, but I find far more explanatory power in the vileness of man, and rebellion against God. Demiurge would have no reason to hide. Despair would be the sin of many, not few.
>>
nah
>>
>>9430228
But your argument that they werent needed anymore as the reason that slavery held out isnt why it declined. It was because it was easier to use native populations or "paid" indians in Natal, Mauritius and Fiji. Once the transatlantic trade was killed by the british it was economically feasible, you cant have real chattel slavery without a stable slave population, which ended in the US due to war. It was only in Brazil that migrant labor supplanted slavery as far as I know.
>>
File: done.jpg (35KB, 405x405px) Image search: [Google]
done.jpg
35KB, 405x405px
>>9428805
>the justification for equality
Where does Christianity state earthly equality?
It doesn't.
>how is it possible that the US had slaves?
The same way it is possible for any man to sin - concupiscence.
>If we are created equals
only in righteousness. Hierarchies are part of God's order
You don't know much about Christianity, do you?
>>
>>9428805

Well, the Old Testament quite clearly justifies slavery.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.