[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

suggest a novel that seems straightforward but contains inconspicuous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: michelangelo moses 2.jpg (69KB, 418x640px) Image search: [Google]
michelangelo moses 2.jpg
69KB, 418x640px
suggest a novel that seems straightforward but contains inconspicuous details which suggest a radically different interpretation. there should be no mindfugg finale, only another coherent level of possible meaning. like a PKD novel but without the obvious glitches in reality.
>>
Nabokov's Pnin is subtle like that
>>
>>9428528
thx, it never occured to me to read other stuff than lolita until now.
>>
the whole saramago ouvre...but he isn't exactly subtle, he often puts the ambiguity straight into the title
>>
>>9428518
every DeLillo novel that isn't obviously not straightforward
>>
>>9428518
Book of the new sun
borges
>>
harry potter
>>
>>9428528
>muh bowl
Pnin eh? where's the radically different interpretation in that one?
>>
Peace by Gene Wolfe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_(novel)
>>
Pale fire
>>
>>9428518
Good Soldier Svejk, Manuscript Found in Saragossa, Don Juan, Chromos, Augie March, the list goes on, and on and on.
>>
Chronic City by Jonatham Lethem, at first it stroke me as shit for hipsters that wanted to feel cool and the thinkers of tomorrow, but then the twisted meanings (like having a robotic tiger be rumpling around the city but never actually showing it, then making one wonder if it's real or not) got me into thinking and the end made me despair. One hell of a read that can only cast a spell on you on the first read
>>
thanks for all the recs
>>
house of leaves
>>
>>9428518
Turn of the Screw
>>
the catcher in the rye, I guess
>>
>>9428518
Read the Bible
>>
An Artist of the Floating World
>>
>>9428712
this desu

also DFW's Oblivion collection
>>
Pavane - Keith Roberts
>>
>>9428695
the hidden meaning is drumpf is voldemort and we (the democrats) are gryffindor
>>
>>9428518
"The End of the Affair" by Graham Greene
>>
>>9428528
what? I thought it was just unfunny, did I not get it?
>>
>>9430784
nope, it was unfunny. there's no subtlety there.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.