[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I sound intelligent when I speak? I am fairly well read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot 2017-04-04 10.37.26.png (237KB, 499x430px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-04-04 10.37.26.png
237KB, 499x430px
How do I sound intelligent when I speak?

I am fairly well read and I have a decent working knowledge of vocabulary, however whenever I speak, both in an informal and formal setting, I just sound like an idiot. I feel like a lot of what I say is sort of nebulous. I feel like I have difficulty with the precision with my language. And though I have a decent knowledge of vocabulary, my personal use of it is limited.

For those of you well spoken on here: how do I get there?

Are there any books that help with this problem?
>>
If you don't sound intelligent, you aren't intelligent.
>>
>>9427352
You're stupid. You can't express yourself in writing either.

Go back to posting BRAAAP posts on /r9k/
>>
Don't speak. Be as silent as much as possible. Give the briefest, most direct, simple answers. Only contribute something substantial to a conversation when you've seriously considered it.
>>
>>9427352
Get really, very, truly familiar with one subject. Practice speaking on it. Make some powerpoint slides. Give your brief to yourself or to a willing audience. Take questions. Practice until you can answer questions on the subject off the top of your head.

Keep doing this with new subjects until your confidence has increased.
>>
>>9427365
And don't worry about style. Use plain language that you are comfortable with.

Don't be envious of mere rhetoricians.

t. Socrates.
>>
>>9427363
Ouch. Do you mean that?
>>
>>9427352
In normal, everyday conversation? If you're truly intelligent you will usually sound intelligent. And even if you're not that great at speaking, people will likely still consider you intelligent.

Public speaking is a bit different, though. It's just one of those things that you won't be good at until you practice it a lot. I remember a professor of mine talking about how he was awful at talking in front of a class at first, but it gradually became second nature as he did it more.
>>
>>9427518
>If you're truly intelligent you will usually sound intelligent. And even if you're not that great at speaking, people will likely still consider you intelligent.

That's what gets to me is that people say I am intelligent but I feel like I'm not even close to saying what I mean and I don't understand where they get this idea
>>
>>9427352
Try reading your next book aloud. Your real problem is that you simply do not practice talking enough.
>>
do you have ADHD? maybe w/ processing deficits too? how much weed have you smoked for the past 5 years? LSD use? communication, thinking clearly, all that stuff has been mangled a good deal for me. I was never an effective writer, but like you I had a strong vocabulary, and I could demonstrate my understanding of language and related skills of reasoning on say, standardized tests and all. Lately however I feel like I'm coming to understand that the gestalt of my cognition is fucking wacky and that it takes a great amount of effort to communicate clearly and with precision. I'm reading philosophy nowadays in hopes that I can reason more fluidly and articulate concepts more effectively, because otherwise I dunno, I'm stuck looking like an idiot for the rest of my life, when my self-regard is too high to tolerate that.
>>
>>9427562
I will try this
>>9427569
I do have ADHD but I hated the medication so I stopped taking it. But I feel like you are in a very similar boat to myself. I've never smoked or done drugs or anything but I do feel like lately, it is getting tougher to communicate. Guess I'll die.
>>
Bumping

Just for some more opinions on this
>>
>>9427352
Just act like a pseud. People who speak "intelligently" usually don't have much going on up there. Talk to any aspie 140+ math major at your uni. You'll find that they come off as pretty dopey, in conversation.
>>
>>9427956
140+ IQ, rather.
>>
>>9427361
That's mean towards Finns and Dutchfags.
>>
>>9427367

>few
>le few

wow, I had to do some serious deducing
>>
Uhh, you shouldn't care about sounding intelligent when you speak. I have a very limited vocabulary, yet I still got a 141 composite IQ score from the WAIS-IV, when I took it at 3 years ago at 17.

Only dummies are impressed by flowery language.
>>
>>9427352
The trick is to speak superficially. If you try too hard to say exactly what you think you'll end up stumbling over your words, pausing for too long, repeating yourself, digressing.
>>
>>9427371

>Don't be envious of mere rhetoricians.

But rhetoricians get money+pussy+power while Socrates got hemlock.
>>
>>9427352
Actual answer: pause before answering questions or replying to people. Stop saying 'um'. Seem confident.

>>9428028
People only mention their IQs when they have no real accomplishments to draw on
>>
>>9428028
>only dummies are impressed by flowery language
Flowery language isn't what makes you sound intelligent though. It's being able to show that you understand things when you speak, and to speak in a concise way.
>>
>>9428094
I bet you think hard work matters.
>>
>>9428116
you suck at gambling
>>
>>9428002
Are you going to enlighten me with your brilliant deduction? I could give you an answer right now that proves you are wrong, but I want to hear what you've imagined.
>>
Shake your head whenever people speak to you. Then when they're done speaking say, "That's cute," then inform them why they're wrong, and why their entire lifestyle is damaging humanity.
>>
File: IMG_0883.jpg (53KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0883.jpg
53KB, 645x968px
>reading Shakespeare
>my friend A calls me up
>"I know this is short notice bro, but B and C wanna go to the club with us"
>go there with them
>start unconsciously talking in iambic pentameter
>try to hit on a girl in sonnet form
>my friends ask me why I sound like such a fag
>mfw
And that was when I realized that I had autism
>>
>>9427569
>>9427582

Looks like we're all very similar. ADHD-PI and all.

I think the only thing that helps is 1) working to strengthen your weak cognitive areas; 2) understanding the way you structure ideas (the way you should v. the way you do... so you develop better habits); 3) understanding the way you speak when you think (I kind of shut down a bit, can't do both at once); and 4) sheer amount of practice, whether it is by studying the material you want to talk about, or trying to talk about it in a concise way over and over again, etc.
>>
I am actually mentally retarded.
>>
>>9428086
Hemlock > everything else

Socrates was a great man.
>>
Whatever you do, don't use words you're unfamiliar with or jargon.

Anyone who uses words like "deconstruct", "reify", or "geo-political" are idiots not to be trusted.
>>
>>9427352
Talk to yourself outloud.

vocabulary is a small portion
Practicing turning your thoughts into words on the spot will help conversations go more fluidly. Also instead of saying uhm or ahh, take a pause.
>>
Don't say things like: um, uh, like, err. It is OK to take pauses to think of what to say
>>
>>9428292
this. Example of this is Dr Jordan Peterson
>>
>>9427352
Sounds like you have a problem with articulation, not vocabulary. If this isn't the case, you have what my roommate has, which is a case of the 'I wanna be smarter than I am's

Use this handy starter guide-

>Say the word issue as iss-you, NOT ish-yew
>Constantly repeat phrases, such as 'to say the least' after doing exactly the opposite
>Create an audible pause in your cadence whilst you deliberately pronounce words incorrectly or pick a malaprop
>Say 'Next [insert day of the week]' when you mean goddamn tomorrow.

Or... you could just think before you speak. Kinda tough in a fast paced conversation, but if you keep responses simple, then you should have no problems.

Nebulous... Moron.
>>
Try you best not to swear, swearing is the mark of the uneducated lower class. Speak clearly, don't slur your words. Talk from the bottom of your bosom. Have something to say, and stay relevant.
Ask better questions.
>>
>>9428364
sounds like your roommate is smarter than you, and is the dominant one in conversation
>>
>>9428365
>tfw to smart to swear or use proper grammer
>>
>>9428365
>try not to swear
>have spent my entire life in a shitty part of Scotland
This is actually really hard. It's like trying to stop using vowels.
>>
>>9427530
Do you think stupid people think like that?
I know younstill feel to ignorant, naive and generally lost, but you have to realize thatbyou're already on a different level of introspection, which is already deeper than the ones of most people you will meet in your lifetime.
>>
Its not how you say it but what you say
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.