[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Marcus Aurelius - Meditations >Aristotle - The Nichomachean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: verily.jpg (97KB, 638x634px) Image search: [Google]
verily.jpg
97KB, 638x634px
>Marcus Aurelius - Meditations
>Aristotle - The Nichomachean Ethics
>Plato - The Republic
Are these a good start to get into Greek philosophy?
I haven't read much philosophy apart from some Stirner and Nietzsche.
>>
You shouldn't read them in that order. Read some dialogues before reading the Republic. Also you should have some understanding of Greek mythology, as well as the Illiad and the Odyssey.
>>
>>9427001
fuck off, frogshitter
>>
>>9427017
Frog off, fuckshitter.
>>
>>9427014
Can you spoonfeed me some example dialogues?
What books should I get for Greek mythology?
>>
dumb frogposters...
>>
>>9427037
If you have read your basic mythology, here's a recomendation for Plato's dialogues.

First: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo.
Next: Meno, Republic I-II, Protagoras, Gorgias
Next: Philebus, Phaedrus
Next: Theaetetus, Symposium, the rest of Republic
Next: Timaeus, Sophist, Parmenides

Note: skip Aurelius, he's not necessary for anything; read aristotle's nicomachean
ethics->politics->metaphysics, and you'll be set for greek philosophy.
>>
>>9427049
Also, read 'The Complete World of Greek Mythology' for mythology. Plato references greek deities and priests almost constantly, so you shouldn't skip it.
>>
>>9427049
>>9427053
Thanks friend
>>
>>9427076
Also, if you have trouble understanding something, just search for it here -> https://plato.stanford.edu/
You might misunderstand some of Plato's points otherwise, as he never states them outright.
>>
Marcus Aurelius ain't even Greek...
>>
>>9427049
>no physics
>euthyphro first

we get it annapolisfag
>>
>>9427291
He wrote it in Greek which is part of the reason it's (wrongly) lumped with Greek threads.

>>9428490
>reading the physics without reading the organon
desu not sure how you'd read metaphysics without physics, and not sure how you'd read physics without at least the categories/interpretations/both analytics
>>
Aurelius is a conclusion to stoicism so he can be considered greek
>>
>>9428785
>not sure how you'd read metaphysics without physics

carefully, what you said goes for every work of aristotle, they are all connected, and expound on terms he uses in common between texts, that being said, physics is essential reading, more important than metaphysics imo
>>
>>9429018
>what you said goes for every work of aristotle, they are all connected, and expound on terms he uses in common between texts

I've only read the organon and the physics so far and almost immediately saw that buildup of terms and concepts. Honestly I have no idea how someone could have read the physics without reading the organon, and I suspected exactly what you just said, that the same goes for pretty much all of his writings.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.