[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone please tell me why people take the dust jackets off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: For-Books-Sake-Everyman-Library.jpg (119KB, 500x525px) Image search: [Google]
For-Books-Sake-Everyman-Library.jpg
119KB, 500x525px
Can someone please tell me why people take the dust jackets off of their books? I have a moral dilemma with doing so. I hate dust covers. They slide off when I'm trying to read the book, I always have to take them off and put them in a drawer until I've read the whole book, so I can put it back on the shelf. They get fucked up really easily and I always feel like I have to handle them delicately.

But here's the thing. I don't like the feeling of having an incomplete book. I personally wish that I could find some reason to just take off the dust jackets of my books and just set them on my shelf like that, but for the aforementioned incompleteness reason, and the fact that it may increase the longevity of the book, I can't bring myself to do that. I wish hardcovers all came in slipcases.
>>
>>9426395
It's simple. You are autistic.
I throw mine away.
>>
>Step 1. Buy books with slipcases instead of dust covers.
>Step 2. Enjoy.
I throw away all the dust covers unless they are particularly nice (artbooks mostly). No matter how careful you are they will inevitably turn to shit and they have 0 function anyway.
>>
Absolute best are hardcovers with glossy covers glued on. Best of all worlds. The copy of JBP's Maps of Meaning I'm reading is like this. Feels good.
>>
>>9426395
they are literally made to be thrown away
some jackass just started printing pictures on them so that they would catch the eye

its not the book, its literally the wrapper
>>
>>9427368
>>9426407
>>9426400
not sure if you are trolling.

I take the dust cover off when I read and put it back on when I stop. If there is a solid dust cover I sometimes use it as a bookmark
>>
File: book-cover-taping-corners.jpg (47KB, 550x401px) Image search: [Google]
book-cover-taping-corners.jpg
47KB, 550x401px
The purpose of dust covers is exactly what the name implies: they're to keep books safe from shelf wear. Most modern dust covers won't really fulfill this purpose, in part because of the materials they're made of, but mostly because they don't extend over the top and bottom edges of the cover. You can safely throw them away, and, if you are concerned about shelf wear, or damaging the book while in use with your grubby fingers, cover it with paper that folds over the top and bottom of the cover. You don't even need to cut and tape the corners like in pic related because folding is adequate there, but do cut the width of the spine as shown.
>>
>>9427414
>using dust covers as bookmarks
heathen
>>9426395
i do the same thing OP. just put the dust jacket back on and put it on the shelf. all these autists telling you to throw it away are memeing.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.