[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>finally have the living room to myself at ten o'clock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1487257530035.jpg (53KB, 1024x771px) Image search: [Google]
1487257530035.jpg
53KB, 1024x771px
>finally have the living room to myself at ten o'clock
>get out the whiskey, my mouth fedora and write some bullshit, but don't have much on my mind, so plan to read instead
>suddenly Dad comes out, can't sleep, and throws on the TV
>trying to concentrate through Pawn Stars blasting in my ears and the occasional talking from my Dad, but give up
How does one achieve calm and solitude when they're surrounded by literal and figurative noise?
Staying at the parents' because I was laid off, btw.
>>
>>9424713
You don't have a bedroom?
>>
>>9424767
Not anymore. My father took it over because he doesn't like walking up the stairs more than necessary (operations on his legs) or maybe my mother doesn't like sleeping next to him because he is fat and loud and smells. I get the room sometimes.
>>
>>9424713
>my mouth fedora
You vape?
>>
I bet your dad could write a better book than you could.
>>
>>9424801
Now that I quit smoking, yes.

>>9424802
Doubt it.
>>
>>9424794
So you sleep in the living room?

I suggest writing in the library and bringing a flask.
>>
>>9424812
My free time is usually when I run errands or look for jobs in the morning, or when I go away for a couple days. My dad is ADD and will call me if I'm gone longer than an hour. He's called me on the shitter before. Pretty much my every waking moment here is spent doing yard work or sitting around the table with them twiddling our thumbs. My dad has zero intelligent conversation and is like a video game NPC, saying the same empty meaningless shit. The TV is on 24/7 and if you try to read he keeps talking to you. It's maddening and depressing. Night time is all I have, but I best not stay up too late, or I regret it when I get woken up by the house noise early in the morning.

So how does one achieve their Zen in a setting like this?
>>
>go outside
>get headphones
>bathroom
>go upstairs to the room your dad is not occupying
>why am i responding to bait
>>
File: sereeb.jpg (6KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
sereeb.jpg
6KB, 284x177px
>>9424855
>them twiddling our thumbs
>>
>>9424855
>So how does one achieve their Zen in a setting like this?
That's like asking 'how does one acchieve strength while lifting heavy weights?'

The whole idea of collected mindfulness is that you learn to maintain it in suboptimal circumstances. Silent and calm surroundings are easy mode, irritating surroundings give you something to work with.
>>
>>9424713
hold out until midnight, 12am-6am is prime writing hours for me
>>
File: vaping fedora.jpg (43KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
vaping fedora.jpg
43KB, 600x599px
>>9424713
>Staying at the parents' because I was laid off, btw

sure, sure.
>>
>>9424888
A worthy point. And I haven't truly meditated since I've been here.

>>9424892
Well timeframe notwithstanding, maybe I could venture a nap in the evening, hijacking my old room if I can, or just forgoing sleep.

Speaking of sleep, it beckons. Thanks for listening.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.