[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Atlas Shrugged really that much of a meme book as people say

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: atlas_shrugged.jpg (439KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
atlas_shrugged.jpg
439KB, 750x500px
Is Atlas Shrugged really that much of a meme book as people say it is? Asking not ironically
>>
If by "meme" you mean "shit," yes.
>>
Most people that talk negatively about Ayn Rand haven't even bothered to read the book. Rand isn't a perfect writer (Sometimes a chapter drags on for too long) but her writings go against the collectivist status quo so that's why you'll often see liberals hate on her and make strawmans out of thin air.

That being said, remember /lit/ as a board leans more to the left than the rest of 4chan. So they'll most likely tell you to read Marx instead.
>>
Chapter 2 is great. The rest is ham-fisted.

The length is what really makes it a meme.
>>
>>9424477

As a novel, it's long and boring. People say it's hated only for political reasons, but no one seems to mention that it only seems to be loved by others for political reasons.
>>
>>9424515
This anon gets it.

>>9424495
Her writings go against the collectivist status quo except for communities where the status quo is her writings.
>>
>>9424560
>what is collectivist
>>
>>9424477
there was a period in my life where I thought it was a great book, because I hadn't read enough politics or philosophy to know much better. It's actually kind of a decent read, and yes, it drags a bit, but no more than many of the "top" books on /lit/.

It's a decent introduction to objectivism, which was its intent. If you have capitalistic leanings, and are industrious, she makes some very appealing points. As long as you don't read it and use it as the focus of your political viewpoint, it's worth reading. You have to remember though that this is a book that Fox News pundits repeatedly encourage people to read. There's a reason for that. It fits a very narrow world view.
>>
>>9424477

As far as self-insert works go, Atlas Shrugged is a decent one. Some of the ideas are a bit 'out there', but for the most part it's an alright read that at the end of the day is just one big push for Objectivism.

The Fountainhead is a shorter, punchier Rand work that plays on the same themes without going QUITE so far out with it. If you're legitimately interested in reading about it, I'd suggest that is the one you pick up first, not Shrugged.
>>
>>9424697
I read both and enjoyed Fountain more.
>>
>>9424735
Personally I find Anthem to be better than either, and much shorter.

From Atlas Shrugged you really just need a few soliloquies, and Fountainhead wraps up with a more or less complete reversal. Anthem manages not to get too full of itself.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.