[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about 200 pages into 'Crime and Punishment'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: dostoevsky.jpg (4KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
dostoevsky.jpg
4KB, 201x251px
I'm about 200 pages into 'Crime and Punishment' and I am loving it.

It is the first book I've read where the protagonist is the antagonist without being an anti hero in the Richard III, Alex Delarge way of being so charismatic that you forgive the character for their awful deeds.

I see the anti hero archetype as an opportunity for the reader to judge whether how they feel about action vs. personality.

But with this, it is very clear from the beginning that this is not a good person and not the kind of person you'd want to be and how you yourself are capable of evil if you allow yourself.

Any other books that are equally despairing?
>>
You do realize how ironic this is, right?

Should we just rename it "Crime and Punishment (but actually just class warfare)"?

Or maybe "Crime and Punishment, except we're the only ones committing crimes and deserve to be punished"?

Still working on it.
>>
>>9422364
Haven't finished so I can't say about class warfare, but all I've seen thus far is individual decision making. Roskalnikov kills someone within his own class.

Personal responsibility is a bitch.
>>
>>9422345
I read this when i was 14, baka.
>>
>>9422984
Sweet
>>
>>9422364

Lol
>>
what translation of this should I read?
>>
>>9422984
So did I and it was a waste of time at that age.
>>
>>9423285
How come? I still remember it vividly to this day.
>>
>>9423321
Because the topics are too difficult and the prose is too dense for any, but a rare, 14 year old.
>>
>>9423357
Well, I remember that it was about a guy named Rashkolnikov who commits a crime to see if he can bounce back up again afterwards, and that that crime was sort of a necessary sin to accomplish something great. He wanted to see if he was like Napoleon. He killed two women, and got very sick afterwards. He realizes he is not a Napoleon like man, because of how sick he became. He plays cat and mouse with a detective, before giving in to him to be put in a camp in Siberia.
>>
File: 1463930099977.png (9KB, 713x64px) Image search: [Google]
1463930099977.png
9KB, 713x64px
>>9423373
I'm not trying to test you, man, just saying it's very unusual for a kid that age to actually digest this book, not just read through the pages. Although I've known enough people who couldn't even do that latter.
>>
>Raskolnikov
>charismatic
How's freshmen year of high school, buddy?
>>
>>9423440
>implying he said that
How's your reading comprehension, buddy?
>>
>>9422345
>Rashkolnikov
>antagonist
Please start reading again, because you have entirely missed the point.
>>
>>9423385
Why? It's just the age when you start thinking about edgy stuff like that.
>>
>>9425643
This, desu. A teen can understand it baka.
>>
>>9422364

>class warfare

Man, I'm really glad I'm not as retarded as you
>>
>>9422345

Well, maybe not start over as >>9425630 suggested, but you absolutely must read through to the end before saying things like this
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.