[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone read this, or other books like it? (Inb4 Ayn Rand) Any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1027.jpg (1MB, 2076x2936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1027.jpg
1MB, 2076x2936px
Anyone read this, or other books like it? (Inb4 Ayn Rand)
Any redeeming value or is it as bad as it looks?

Curious to know if there's any interesting aspects to this debate or if it's all just shitty conjecture.
>>
Muh thread
>>
never read it, but I know its shitty because Sam Harris' view on objective morality without God is indefeasible
>>
From what I understand his position is basically just "assume utilitarianism and use science to determine what maximizes utility" but he doesn't justify his utilitarianism.
>>
>>9420891
>objective morality without God is indefeasible
wrong
>>
>>9420891
>indefeasible
i don't think that word means what you think it means

also jesus fuck i wish you pseuds would just get over the fact that sam harris is smarter than you and could kick all your butts too
>>
File: 12173737363.jpg (7KB, 227x215px) Image search: [Google]
12173737363.jpg
7KB, 227x215px
>>9420891
>indefeasible
>>
File: sam harris.jpg (15KB, 350x441px) Image search: [Google]
sam harris.jpg
15KB, 350x441px
>>9420891
I'm going to plant a flag here and unpack this issue for a moment. The idea that religion can provide any kind of information whatsoever is so beyond what any rational person would ever say, I'm at a loss for words about how to respond. As I explained in my best selling book Letter To A Christian Nation, I have totally disproven all religious thought and laid out an objective system of morals that no one has been able to argue against.
>>
>First, a disclaimer and non-apology: Many of my critics fault me for not engaging more directly with the academic literature on moral philosophy. There are two reasons why I haven’t done this: First, while I have read a fair amount of this literature, I did not arrive at my position on the relationship between human values and the rest of human knowledge by reading the work of moral philosophers; I came to it by considering the logical implications of our making continued progress in the sciences of mind. Second, I am convinced that every appearance of terms like “metaethics,” “deontology,” “noncognitivism,” “anti-realism,” “emotivism,” and the like, directly increases the amount of boredom in the universe.

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>9421117
Sam you forgot to mention your martial arts training.

>>9420875
Harris is the biggest pseud. His books are the 2010s equivalent to 1970s self help books that no one remembers or reads anymore. Flash in the pan atheist riding the science wave.
>>
>>9421351
I should add I have not given Harris money for his book and so have not read it. I have listened to him ramble from baseless conjecture to logical fallacy for about six hours on his youtube podcast, though. He is a mental midget.
>>
>>9420875
If you're still unironically Ben Stillerposting, you need to go back to whatever hole you crawled out of and stay there.
>>
>>9421351
>>9421368
>>9421393
Not an argument
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.