[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just read Industrial Society and Its Future, and everything in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: teddy.jpg (144KB, 634x702px) Image search: [Google]
teddy.jpg
144KB, 634x702px
Just read Industrial Society and Its Future, and everything in it seems spot on. Have I cook my brain am I just an idiot?
Can anyone recommend books that are a good counter argument to the ideas presented in it?
>>
Pros:
- Kaczynski's analysis of the human costs of modernity
- In many ways this book antecipates the anti-civ discourse
- The general lines of his strategy remain relevant (though the details don't)

Cons:
- Outdated. Is thought is mostly concerned with "disciplinary societies" (western 1920s-60s) so, in fact, it was already way out of date when it was first published in 1995.
- His anti-leftist obsession is moralistic and throws out the window any possibility of intersectionality
- The chapter sequence is not the best
>>
>>9420538
>throws out the window any possibility of intersectionality
Sounds like a pro to me.
>>
>>9420528
forget everything you read and read marcuse instead
>>
read some Nick Land
>>
>>9420538

>His anti-leftist obsession is moralistic and throws out the window any possibility of intersectionality

Intersectionality is a banal hiccup on the path back to perennial thought. Forget about it. It's trash.
>>
>>9420528
>Have I cook my brain
Not at all you have just read the simplified version of Jacques Ellul his work called ''The Technological Society'' If you want to get some counter argument shit then i would unironicly recommend marxist shit. (not the kind that ted criticized wich is the neoleft but orthodox marxism and its empises on how technology (means of production) shape society)
>>
>>9420538
>- His anti-leftist obsession is moralistic and throws out the window any possibility of intersectionality
In his other book "anti-tech" he states he did that to avoid his 'movement' being appropriated by fair weather friends
>>
File: smallboy.jpg (28KB, 535x484px) Image search: [Google]
smallboy.jpg
28KB, 535x484px
>>9420538
>intersectionality
>>9421707
>technology = means of production
>>
>>9420528

>everything in it seems spot on

>I do not like marine biology. Therefore, all such surrogate activities are unfulfilling. Therefore, it is preferable to die of simple infections in a primitivist hunter-gatherer society than to pursue artificial goals in modern society.

His arguments are really, really, really poor anon. While he did have some astute observations on the impact of technology on modern life, his conclusions are totally and utterly retarded.
>>
>>9420528
he's a shitty Ellul. Just read Ellul. His thing about leftists is half-right at best, but mostly watered down Nietzsche, with the results being ANY HOBBIES make you out to be on the same level as leftists. Plus he didn't really understand the spectacle.

Are you guys suddenly going to drop your activities? Are you going to live accordingly (eg. you spend the day hunting rabbits) Because anything beyond this is contributing to the growth of industrial society.

Kaczynski's best work in his '71 essay, which his brother had read, and not his garbage, cringe-worthy manifesto and later writings which mostly make the same mistakes.

tl;dr just read Ellul
>>
>>9421719

you think you're safe from materiality when you're at home thumbing your cell phone? someone's producing value. it ain't you.
>>
>>9421719
Technology is litteraly THE MEANS of production, fixed capital. FIXED CAPITAL, Tools and Machinery you dumb fuck.
>>
>>9422152
>something is x
>no it isnt
>yes IT is
wow condragulations, that argument went nowhere but somehow you've managed to convince your dumbass otherwise
>>
>>9420528
he clearly didn't see how open source and postcapitalism could solve the technology question.
read some heidegger on techne
>>
>>9422159
you are clearly correct.
machinery, factories and power stations are not made of technology.
theĆ½ clearly belong to the techmology section

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9CEqlUJGCE
>>
>>9421798
you better be backing up your files,

someone's backing up em up, and it ain't you.
>>
Just for emphasis, I will reiterate reading Ellul's The Technological Society. You'll immediately see where all the best parts of Kaczynski's came from. As for refutations, there are none. Ellul was dead right.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.