[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you help a newfag out? I barely read and would love to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1481709791251.jpg (117KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481709791251.jpg
117KB, 1920x1080px
Can you help a newfag out?

I barely read and would love to get started in literature, is the /lits/ top 100 a good place to start ?
>>
>>9419567
just read whatever dude
>>
Absolutely not.
Start with Shakespeare.
>>
>>9419567
>is the /lits/ top 100 a good place to start ?
Yes and no, depends on your interests. Don't start anything you're not interested in, you'll never come back.
Are there any concepts or hobbies or anything you're interested in? Maybe we can go from there.
>>
>>9419580
I see a lot of people on this board talking about philosophy, and I have no idea where to even start with that but it looks like an interesting subject.

I also Like music, and want to know more about classical music.

Avant garde as well.
>>
infinite jest
>>
>>9419651
Anything but this meme book.
>>
>>9419600
Stat with Descartes and progress through each philosopher of modernity (by that I mean Leibniz, Spinoza, Hume, Berkeley, Kant, Locke, etc...) After that you'll know where to go
>>
>>9419600

I'm just gonna list more that I like

-Politics

-Non Fiction

-I like fiction but it has to be really meaningful and have an interesting message and not just something made up for entertainment.

-I like Depressing and scary books too

-Poetry

-business and science and tech
>>
>>9419600
Philosophy is tough at the beginning. You have to be open to it. And while starting with the greeks is a justified meme, it's best to "start" after a few philosophical novels.
Maybe start with The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Tolstoy, Solaris by Lem, and maybe Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky or the Stranger by Camus.
Then, read Crito, Apology, Phaedo, and the Symposium by Plato. A long jump into sampling Descartes. And from there you can sort or sift around, maybe listen to what you find interesting on the Partially Examined Life podcast. There's a lot of places to inhabit in philosophy.

Avant garde is something everyone new wants to get in but some get very lost in their attempt. I think starting with The Third Policeman by Flann O'brien will inundate you well. I would recommend No World Concerto as it satisfies both the avant garde type stuff and your interest in music. I'm going to throw in Wittgenstein's Mistress by Markson because I love it. And Stern's Tristram Shandy.
I know pretty much nil in the way of music but Mozart's Letters, Mozart's Life by Robert Spaethling is an absolute favorite of mine.

And if you really want to get into avant garde type thinking, I strongly urge you to get into poetry. Although it's hard to recommend where to start.
>>
>>9419600
>>9419690
are you me?
>>
>>9419707
>literally the broadest shit

> " I cannot believe thisss"
>>
File: 1430945209266.jpg (145KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1430945209266.jpg
145KB, 633x758px
>>9419712
>>
File: 1489901817176.jpg (119KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489901817176.jpg
119KB, 640x480px
Go away you fucking newfaggots, just lurk like normal fucking person.
Teenagers have no respect.....
>>
>>9419719
You bark for the dumbest shit.
>>
>>9419703
Hey thanks man, I'll check these out.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.