[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>trying to read 19th century or older English works when English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 128542508295.jpg (116KB, 747x768px) Image search: [Google]
128542508295.jpg
116KB, 747x768px
>trying to read 19th century or older English works when English is your third language
I need a dictionary by my side to read most of contemporary literature. Shakespeare is basically unintelligible to me. Is there no hope for me? Am I doomed to be illiterate for the rest of my life since I can't even begin to read most of the canon?
>>
>>9418358
Just read more and get good, English is my third language as well and I'm 2000 pages into the Bible and have no problems.
>>
>>9418358
read more brainlet, that way you'll be able to read even more
>>
>>9418368
Why would you read the Bible in English if it's your third language? The original's in Hebrew and Greek.
>>
What are some good books for someone learning Spanish as a second language? I'm at a beginner-to-intermediate level, I can have basic conversations and read Wikipedia articles and The Little Prince, would I be fine just jumping into Borges or Gabriel Garcia Marquez?
>>
>>9418375
Because I enjoy reading in English. I have read The Iliad and the Odyssey in English as well. If a book is written in a language I know then I will read it in the original language, otherwise I will read it in English
>>
>>9418375
The King James Bible is a classic of English literature and as good if not better than the original
>>
>>9418388
You're absolutely cucked by Anglos, shame on you
>>
>>9418392
how did you learn hebrew?
>>
>>9418392
t. someone who doesn't k ow Hebrew or Greek
>>
>>9418411
>>9418399
Not him.

But I have read the Greek gospels, and the KJV is just better. I love Greek, but the KJV is a masterpiece.
>>
>>9418380
Yes. At least Marquez is piss easy, though i can't stand his fucking purple prose.

You should try Don Quijote when you're done with them. It's not as hard as people make it out to be
>>
>>9418358
At one point I felt the same my native tongue. Unfortunately you will have to read easier stuff and be sure to always search unknown words.
>>
>>9418411
The Bible's Greek is extremely weak. It's like if a bunch of mexicans and niggers tried to write a book in English.
>>
>>9418358
You could read Shakespeare either annotated or completely rewritten in modern English. Some less known writers won't have those kinds of versions of their works though.
>>
>>9418368
tbf bible doesn't have much difficult language
>>
ESL learners are truly digusting.
>>
File: La_colmena[1].jpg (1MB, 2000x3315px) Image search: [Google]
La_colmena[1].jpg
1MB, 2000x3315px
>>9418380
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.