[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, so reading Aquinas and can anyone define what 'material

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Ok, so reading Aquinas and can anyone define what 'material spatially extended substances' means? thx
>>
>>9415902
someone can pick me up if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that just means things that physically exist? what's the context?
>>
People who bring their pets to this state should be shot.
>>
>>9415902
physical things
>>
>>9415902
Stuff like that cat for instance.
>>
>>9415902
stuff
>>
>>9415902
matter that possesses the property of size/shape
>>
>>9415902
means he was baked when he wrote it. or given the times, drunk.
>>
>material
Belonging to the natural, material world, as opposed to, say, things spiritual - divine - or ideal - purely mental. The distinction matters because Aquinas holds that the human intellect is immaterial, and that because of that the human soul of which it is a power survives the death of the body.
>spatially extended
Limited and located in space, describable with terms like area or volume, as well as able to interact with other material objects, i.e. you can touch it because your hand is material and spatially extended as well.
>substances
Essence, entity, thing-in-itself. A substance is distinct from its properties. As Aristotle says:

>A substance—that which is called a substance most strictly, primarily, and most of all—is that which is neither said of a subject nor in a subject, e.g. the individual man or the individual horse. The species in which the things primarily called substances are, are called secondary substances, as also are the genera of these species. For example, the individual man belongs in a species, man, and animal is a genus of the species; so these—both man and animal—are called secondary substances.
I could say OP is an animal ("genre" according to Aristotle) or OP is a human (species), but once I strip away any and all of the possible predicates (for example "faggot" in "OP is a faggot") there's OP alone being OP, and not being anything else that isn't OP, a distinguished entity that is its own thing.

Read Aristotle's Categories in order to "get it", and get Aquinas.
>>
Aquinas was debunked a long time ago
https://youtu.be/U3yKxvW9yNA
>>
>>9416940

It never gets old. Scholastic skydaddy worshipers thoroughly #BTFO
>>
>>9415902
L. m. a. o. How about you start with the Greeks Ya pineapplehead?
>>
>>9416940
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
>>
>>9416940
Aquinas' arguments are actually pretty good.
>>
>>9415932
What's up with Texans and animal hate? *shakes head*
>>
>>9416940
Jesus how can someone be so dense? I guess that's what happens when you go into every book with the explicit intent of either confirming your pre-existent beliefs or rebutting theirs.
>>
>>9418915

>Youtube atheists reading books

Good one
>>
>>9416940
My God, so this is how reddit looks in person
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.