[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is infinite jest worth reading either unironically or to understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1492776098712.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1492776098712.gif
2MB, 300x225px
So is infinite jest worth reading either unironically or to understand the meme? I know nothing about it, the meme, or the author.
>>
>ironically
>meme

get out
>>
File: DFW.png (128KB, 352x335px) Image search: [Google]
DFW.png
128KB, 352x335px
It's worth reading the first 100 pages so you can understand how bad it is.
>>
>>9415568
It's hilarious but a shit ton of work.
>>
>>9415568
why bother reading someone who couldn't even live with himself. the only sincere moment in the life of David Foster wallace was when he kicked away the chair. the rest of his life was a lie, the new sincerity was a joke whose punchline was the creaking of a leather belt around the rafter.his literary career was a menagerie of self help lies told to keep his depression at bay. the audience pussy and drugs were the ghosts at that feast of hypocrisy. the depression was warranted because behind all the gimmicks and the self awareness and the bandannas was no discernible talent
>>
It's easy to ridicule without reading it, pseuds do it all the time

Read some essays since they aren't 1000 pages, and if you want to continue, take a stab at Big Dave's magnum opus
>>
>>9415568

It's got some great moments and some unremarkable hours. It's worth trying to read. Like everybody else, I took a break when he started explaining the rules of that stupid tennis game and never got around to picking it back up.
>>
>>9416138
>Like everybody else, I took a break when he started explaining the rules of that stupid tennis game
Shit taste. I wanted to drop the book after the 300th page on fuckin Don Gately. There's so much garbage in the book.
>>
>>9415568
No, it's a colossal waste of time. Read actual classics.
>>
>>9415568
I'm on like page 850 right now and I'm genuinely enjoying it. But be warned, the first like 300 pages is difficult and frustrating. It's probably intentionally difficult and frustrating.

It all ends up being self-referential too, later on. The book is basically 700 pages of setup and 300 pages of punchline.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.