[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people even want to speed read/get rid of subvocalization?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: frog.png (200KB, 575x526px) Image search: [Google]
frog.png
200KB, 575x526px
Why do people even want to speed read/get rid of subvocalization? It is just feels so unnatural to do, plus it usually comes along with comprehension loss.
>>
>>9411798
>plus it usually comes along with comprehension loss.

90% of any book is just useless filler, so this isn't a problem.

The point of speed reading is to get at the most important information. Either I can speed read 5 books and learn 5 new ideas, or I can spend the same time reading one book spending most of it wading through useless garbage.
>>
>>9411807
>doesn't like books
>posts on /lit/
Seems about right
>>
>>9411807
If that is the case I might aswell read a summary for a book.
>>
>>9411807
>90% of any book is just useless filler, so this isn't a problem.
I think this is very subjective, if you want to ignore pronouns and connectors then sure, but when it comes to aprecciating the prose of a highly acclaimed book you just can't skim though the pages
>The point of speed reading is to get at the most important information. Either I can speed read 5 books and learn 5 new ideas, or I can spend the same time reading one book spending most of it wading through useless garbage.
The thing is, that as i said, speed reading usually comes along with comprehension loss, so you will have skimmed through 5 books with not the optimal comprehension versus having read a single book with a good comprehension level.

Btw, i'm not trying to plainly shit on speed readers with this thread, but i posted it because i became disillusioned with speedreading after trying it for a while. What i pretty much learnt is that it can be useful for getting information from light stuff such as news articles, but when it comes to real books (pretty much any work from the western canon) it just kills your enjoyment and fucks your comprehension, especially when reading dense, non-fiction works.
>>
>>9411834

That's true, you can. But true patrician literature has no summaries online, and the wikipedia pages are either very slim or non existent.
>>
>>9411798
I don't care about speedreading, but subvocalizing is for children.
>>
>>9411847
You're a retard for even replying to him
>90 percent of any book is useless filler
What? Only a low IQ fucking idiot can believe this
>>
>>9411847
>I think this is very subjective
No, it's objectively wrong. "90% of any book is just useless filler" implies that every book would still be just as effective if that 90% was taken out, which is so fucking stupid and wrong that I don't believe that he genuinely thinks that.
>>
>>9411874
>>9411879
Did you have a bad day anon? Cause your posts seem to denote a lot of anger.
>>
>>9411861
Am I a brainlet? How do you avoid subvocalizing?
What's the point? It just seems so natural to me when i read a word to say it in my head.
>>
>>9411925
>This is a natural process when reading and it helps the mind to access meanings to comprehend and remember what is read, potentially reducing cognitive load.

There is nothing wrong with doing it if you minimize it (which is accelerating your "inner voice).
>>
>>9411798
the worse a book is, the faster i read it
>>
>>9411925
>>9411925
Honestly I never knew of the concept of subvocalizing until I started coming to /lit and I was surprised that this is a thing.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.