[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've got to write an essay on this quote, but there's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (291KB, 817x380px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
291KB, 817x380px
So I've got to write an essay on this quote, but there's a small problem; I literally don't know what the fuck this Kraut cunt is on about. I mean, I understand what all these terms separately mean, yet this sentence is pure nonsense to me.

Any help would be appreciated.
>>
Bump
If /lit/ can't figure it out they're a bunch of pseudo intellectuals
>>
>>9411696
That is an extremely simple quote, he is saying that the struggle against subjectivism was the attempt to avoid the charge of what was then called "idealism" or "nihilism", i.e., that we know nothing more than our own representations.
>>
>>9412402
kek

>>9411696
He is saying that idealism and nihilism are sort of the same thing, which is already unconventional (even though someone like Nietzsche might agree). Representation in philosophy means perception (sensation passed through understanding, we cannot access pure sensations because the intellect always binds them to other things such as language for example).
>>
>>9412527
Why didn't he just say that idealism and nihilism is the same thing?
>>
>>9412846
Because the terms refer intuitively, in a common usage, to different things. It's pretty much Nietzsche's thesis that the two are unconsciously related
>>
>>9412846
I'm not an expert at this so philosophy grads might laugh at me but here is how I see it:
Nihilism implies that inherently nothing has meaning. It is usually negatively regarded because it contradicts with the intuitive understanding born out of our survival instinct that objectively existing in reality is "good" i.e. inherently valuable.
Idealism implies that the material world is an expression of our a priori understanding about it. It is positively regarded because it affirms the precedence of human intellect i.e. it's an expression of the intuitive understanding that the world exists because we are aware of it or the intuitive understanding that we have conscious control over our existence i.e that we have free will which is a concept that sits at the basis of our moral reasoning.
So we come to this basic false dichotomy of free will vs. determinism. Having free will is "good" and "objectively existing" is good, but if we assume that we have complete conscious control over the material world then we are not allowed to assume that it "objectively" exists due to our intuitive understanding of casuality. Thus idealism is equated with nihilism is equated with subjectivism and we are faced with the cognitive dissonance that having free will is "good" and "bad" at the same time. So the struggle against subjectivism is a struggle against this cognitive dissonance.
>>
subjectivism collapses into nihilism because if all our knowledge cannot be trusted and is not absolute then we can have no absolute moral principles. this then leads us to to reject morality all together (nihilism) nihilism is considered to be a bad thing.
>>
>>9411696
You don't write an essay on the quote alone, and quotes don't exist in isolation. I'm sure the author defines his terms and supports his argument throughout the work.

Guaranteed you didn't even bother to read the whole thing for understanding and ask your professor for clarity on confusing terms and conclusions before turning to fucking 4chan of all places for help. Idiot. The world is full of idiots like you who fake their way through college and rise to the level of their incompetence. You're why the world sucks.
>>
>>9413048
Of course, personally attacking people you don't like and dismissing them as idiots will make the world a much better place.
>>
Those painted letters seem to be progressive enough to build in detail some solid evidence taking that world view their the claim that all this is only make up by sensory information redone by our sensory organs rebuilt in the brain for processing.

Words wont retire on it as well only they aren't suppressed by rumours involving hysterics.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.