[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm starting reading as a hobby and would like to start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: penguin.gif (7KB, 143x200px) Image search: [Google]
penguin.gif
7KB, 143x200px
I'm starting reading as a hobby and would like to start with some classics.
Do you guys have any tips on how to avoid fucking up my collection? I'll be buying paperbacks.
Is Penguin Classics a good choice or just a meme? For Homer I'll get Lattimore's translations.
>>
>>9411128
>buying

just go to a library
>>
>>9411128
the words are roughly the same
>>
>>9411128
just buy used books. donate the ones you hate and save the ones you love.
>>
Don't huff paint thinner before buying books. I fucked up for years with this.
>>
>>9411134
I do not have a proper library near me.

>>9411140
I am considering this. I hate falling pages, though.

>>9411144
Thanks.
>>
Stealing books is the most credible way of building a collection. It's a time honor tradition of antiquity. Locate a source of books and then gather your forces and sack and pillage everything you want. All the best Libraries were built this way. Lets not start messing with tradition now.
>>
Make sure you keep your books clean. Washing the pages in warm, soapy water once a month does the trick, but avoid using soap products containing triclosan or triclocarban as they will remove the 'new book' smell.
>>
>>9411128
Penguin classics are ok if you're not buying translations but don't expect them to last for more than 2-3 readings especially if it's a 500+ page book.
>>
>>9411155
>Not cutting out each page and individually cleansing it in sulfuric acid before re-binding the entire book once a week
>>
>>9411150
falling pages? just make sure when you buy the used book it's marked good to very good condition if you're doing it over the net, and if in person, you can ensure it meets your standards before you buy it. i don't have really any used books that have leaves falling out.
>>
>not just writing your own books and then keeping those. Why waste time with what other people wrote?
>>
>>9411184
>reading what mere human pleb creatures write
>when you can simply witness the divine plot of the creation unveil in front of your eyes
>these are the people i'm associating myself with
>>
>>9411128
Penguin publishes a lot of books, but the book quality is pretty low (cheap paper that isn't acid-free, so it discolors and becomes brittle as it ages, and the bindings are just glue so occasionally you get structural problems, plus the covers are thin and the edges of them are easily worn). The best quality, in my opinion, are Everyman's Library, but their selection is limited and the editions are expensive. Norton Critical is great where available, and provides you with lots of extra material (essays, criticism, etc.), but the selection is again limited. Oxford World's Classics tends to have good translations as well, and is higher quality overall than Penguin. Avoid Dover and other suspiciously cheap publishers, they tend to use public domain translations that aren't very good. Any time you're buying a book that's been translated, prioritize getting a good translation over the publisher's book quality.
>>
>>9411253
>not learning each new language as needed and creating your own translations from original sources in archives and then hand scribing your own private editions with gilded pages and bound in the skin of the original authors nearest living relatives pet.
>>
>>9411272
>Not spiritually inter-dimensionally linking your mind with the author's, thus learning about every single moment that the author has experienced in his life in order to experience the work as it was really meant to be experienced, furthermore making you a non-being and nothing but a fragment of the author, forming your mind into a part of the author's spirit
>Being this much of a blep
>>
start with moby dick if youre american
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.