[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This book makes blood meridian look like a one dimmesnional pile

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Warlock.jpg (18KB, 220x310px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Warlock.jpg
18KB, 220x310px
This book makes blood meridian look like a one dimmesnional pile of pooh desu senpaitachi. I also see where Pynchon got a hankering for making sweet character names. Has anyone read the other books in the series?
>>
I've been trying to find it for a long time
>>
>>9410759
I really like the aesthetics of that book cover.

Is it actually about magic cowboys though? I think i'd hate that. Dark Tower was obnoxious.
>>
>>9410878
Magic cowboys? Wtf are you talking about. The blurb by pynchon?
>>
>>9410889

>title is 'Warlock'
>cover is of two old-fashioned revolvers

Seems like a reasonable inference
>>
>>9410933
Thats the name of the town. Google is your friend.
>>
>>9410878
>i think i'd hate Solaris, I really didn't like the martian
>>
>Tombstone, Arizona, during the 1880’s is, in ways, our national Camelot; a never-never land where American virtues are embodied in the Earps, and the opposite evils in the Clanton gang; where the confrontation at the OK Corral takes on some of the dry purity of the Arthurian joust. Oakley Hall, in his very fine novel Warlock has restored to the myth of Tombstone its full, mortal, blooded humanity. Earp is transmogrified into a gunfighter named Blaisdell who, partly because of his blown-up image in the Wild West magazines of the day, believes he is a hero. He is summoned to the embattled town of Warlock by a committee of nervous citizens expressly to be a hero, but finds that he cannot, at last, live up to his image; that there is a flaw not only in him but also, we feel, in the entire set of assumptions that have allowed the image to exist. It is Blaisdell’s private abyss, and not too different from the town’s public one. Before the agonized epic of Warlock is over with—the rebellion of the proto-Wobblies working in the mines, the struggling for political control of the area, the gunfighting, mob violence, the personal crises of those in power—the collective awareness that is Warlock must face its own inescapable Horror: that what is called society, with its law and order, is as frail, as precarious, as flesh and can be snuffed out and assimilated back into the desert a easily as a corpse can. It is the deep sensitivity to abysses that makes Warlock, I think, one of our best American novels. For we are a nation that can, many of us, toss with all aplomb our candy wrapper into the Grand Canyon itself, snap a color shot and drive away; and we need voices like Oakley Hall’s to remind us how far that piece of paper, still fluttering brightly behind us, has to fall.

Seems pretty lit to me
>>
>>9410798
Just grab the nyrb
>>
Elder God-tier characterisation.
>>
>>9410995
i get the feeling this is better than the actually novel
>>
>>9411733
Nah barely touches on the novel. Him and his dead buddy used to jerk off to that novel in college.
>>
>>9410759
One of the first books I spent three or four hours reading continuously, finished it in day and a half. Basically as good as genre fiction can get without becoming transcendental.

Warlock perfects the western genre
Blood Meridian transcends the western genre

is more or less how I think of it.

I really wonder what it was that so fascinated Pynchon though. I mean it's a terrific novel, but is nothing like what I've read of him in either content or form.
>>
>>9411843
What he loved was how deep it got with morality. Like the glanton gang is basically a bunch of dindu nuffins.
>>
>>9411843
You seem to know a great deal about western, so what about Lonesome Dove?
>>
Butcher's Crossing was good, but not great.

Been meaning to read this for sometime though, then I'll be done with /lit/s western meme trilogy. Unless people start posting about Lonesome Dove a lot, it did win the pulitzer
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.