[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What historical context and knowledge should I have before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: iliad-1.gif (16KB, 374x547px) Image search: [Google]
iliad-1.gif
16KB, 374x547px
What historical context and knowledge should I have before reading The Iliad?
>>
Some understanding of Hesiod's works may help get the mythological references, and a book on bronze age - dark period - second bronze age greek history may be useful, but desu you won't get it all the first time you read it anyways.
An important thing to know that I didn't when I first read it is that (I'm not sure how this is translated in english but it should be pretty close to the spanish version) the suffix -ida means
"the son of", like, when Homer says Zeus Chronida, it means Zeus, the son of Chronos.
>>
>>9410440
Most English translations, as far as I know, translate it as "Chronos' son Zeus" or "Zeus, son of Chronos" or something of the sort. They don't use the Spanish suffix.
>>
Do you know what the Trojan War is? That's really all you need to know.
>>
>>9410468
It isn't a spanish suffix, m8, it's a greek one. Haven't you ever read the expression eupatridae?
>>
>>9410378
nothing, just get ready for some cool battles and pottery
>>
This pretty much covers it:

http://pages.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/arch/iliad/IliadGuide01.html
>>
>>9410488
You do realize that Greek has a system of declensions, right? It's not always "-ida", and it changes a lot depending on the case. That's why I said Spanish, since it stays like that always and you were talking about it. If you want to be precise, sure, it's a Greek suffix.
>>
>>9410378

Anatolia belongs to Hellas
>>
>>9410378
i like that cover art
>>
>>9410378
No history, but you need a solid understanding of Greek mythology, and even then you will have to look stuff up (or rely on footnotes)
>>
assfucking culture
>>
>>9410497
This is good
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.