[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a brainlet. I just finished reading The Plague by Albert

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I'm a brainlet. I just finished reading The Plague by Albert Camus. I thought it was a great read, and a well told story, but I'm having trouble interpreting the themes of this novel.

Would anyone be willing to explain to me the symbolism/imagery/themes/characters behind The Plague?

So far, what I have is (spoilers ahead!)

>The rats represent humanity. They first begin dying in the streets and all over the place, and then the citizens of Oran do. When the rats return at the end of the novel, it symbolizes the return of humans to the city. Why would Camus be comparing people to rats? How does this fit with the overall theme in the book?
>The death of Jacque was dramatic and drawn out, clearly for a reason, but why?
>Tarrou's death seemed to be really important, especially to Rieux. Is this Albert Camus commenting on the fleeting nature of human emotion/friendship?
I do not understand the plague itself. What did it symbolize? What did it impart on the characters?

I liked the book, but it feels like I missed practically everything in it, subtext wise
>>
It's about WWII. Camus is not even hard, come on.
>>
peoples showing true selfs and trying to make something with life in face of impending doom
>>
>he struggles with camus
>dude kill ourself or drink a cup of coffee lmao is too complicated for his tiny high school brain
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHA
>>
>>9407006
youre not even good at bullying.
>>
>>9406516
Try looking into absurdism, it might help you understand the plague a little better.
>>
>>9407006
It's a shame that retards with this attitude are the ones who get stuck with teaching positions..
>>
Basically, it's about humanity in stressful, extreme and completely absurd times. Rieux is Camus self insert. And though the attitude of the town is one of constant grief and terror, humanity is able to overcome and remain our most human. Within this context, we have the swimming scene which is aesthetic and shows how important a human connection is.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.