[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ I was wondering if there's any substance to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: photo[1].jpg (90KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo[1].jpg
90KB, 900x900px
Hey /lit/ I was wondering if there's any substance to the whole mindfulness and meditation movement that's been becoming more popular these past few years.
If meditation truly has beneficial effects I was wondering if you can recommend me a few good books regarding it.
Also it seems to me that stoicism has some fleeting resemblance to meditation and buddhism. Would it be worth it to read a few books on stoicism as well?
>>
>>9405540
Meditation is just heathen prayer
>>
>>9405540
There's no point in making such a big hubbub about it, just do it, there's videos and what have you, on the tubes.
I also don't see it as anything spiritual, in fact, that was what had me being skeptical of it in the first place.
It's really just a (re)focusing, calming technique, and it just werks.
But do read books on stoicism, that's never a bad thing to do.
>>
>>9405550
*tips baseball cap*
>>
>>9405540
>substance
>meditation
Kids these days

Seriously though; mindfulness (in its modern form, the way it's presented in the West) is just another spiritual fad like the Transcendental Meditation or Integral Yoga that came before it and will remain as such until you understand a few things about the nature of the mind. I'm not disparaging mindfulness or Buddhism or stoicism. Understand that meditation is a spiritual discipline, just like prayer, and you will benefit according to the angle you approach from and the goals you set for yourself.

My advice to you would be to go to the source of actual meditative traditions -yoga, Buddhism, bhakti, Jainism, Sihk- and see what the point of it all is, see if any of this is even important to you and go from there.
>>
Sunryu Suzuki - the zen mind the beginner mind
Daniel Ingram - Mastering the core teachings of the Buddha
The former is a simple meditation guide and source of motivation, and the latter is an in-depth study of basic buddhist concepts and teachings, including the description of stages of enlightenment.
But I'd recommend you not to read books at first and go find a nearest meditation center, no matter what tradition, and learn meditation on practice. After that - you can start reading,though this is not as important as keeping the daily practice. This is needed in order to have fewer conceptions regarding mediation when you first start practicing it.
>>
File: IMG_9910.jpg (369KB, 780x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9910.jpg
369KB, 780x1200px
I've studied the occult for years. Take the path of the enlightened, read these
>>
>these past few years

You mean since the 60s?
>>
>>9405540
Full catastrophe living by John cabat-zinn
He introduced meditation to modern medicine. It may be more than you want to read on the subject
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.