[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Oh Anon, what is it you're reading... Oh, "Infinite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 81a3oM3EcfL.jpg (452KB, 1871x2560px) Image search: [Google]
81a3oM3EcfL.jpg
452KB, 1871x2560px
"Oh Anon, what is it you're reading... Oh, "Infinite Jest"! What is it about?"
>>
File: NoDiscernableTalent.jpg (89KB, 467x260px) Image search: [Google]
NoDiscernableTalent.jpg
89KB, 467x260px
>>
>>9405005
"a joke that overstays its welcome"
>>
Wallace-recommending men are ubiquitous enough to be their own in-joke. New York Magazine notes that “Wallace, too, has become lit-bro shorthand…some women [treat] ‘loves DFW’ as synonymous with ‘is one of those motherfuckers’” (hi, it’s me). When conservative Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch cited Wallace in a hearing, The New Republic asserted that “Wallace is the lingua franca of a certain subset of overeducated, usually wealthy, extremely self-serious (mostly) men.” Onion-esque news outlet Reductress clickbaited me perfectly with “Why I’m Waiting for The Right Man to Tell Me I Should Read ‘Infinite Jest.’” Wallace is on a list of books that literally all white men own.

Joking about this phenomenon, however, doesn’t make it stop.

Small, liberal arts colleges are spawning ground for Wallace fans; mine was no exception. The guys at my college—and this is not necessarily an attack on their characters—did many predictable things: played ultimate frisbee, rallied against multinational beverage corporations, listened to The Mountain Goats, and told me to read Infinite Jest.

I opened this essay with the cocaine story because exploiting my own physical experiences, especially sexual, establishes and theoretically validates my reflexive resentment toward Wallace (by way of his fans) before anyone has time to question me. It also encourages continued scrolling. Then I considered cutting the paragraph because I don’t necessarily want the internet to know that story. Now it does. Yet in either case, the choice was mine to make, and this is, of course, why it enrages me so much when men exploit women’s sexual suffering for Art.

It is enraging to have a straight man tell me a story about straight men telling stories to a woman about straight men acting like shitheads. I understand that this is the point of the text. I know. I understand that maybe other men wouldn’t absorb the message unless it was being told to them by another, probably smarter and better educated man. But then why do men keep recommending his work to me? BECAUSE I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW.
>>
It's about addiction and the cultural reasons for it.

It's not that fucking hard you autistics
>>
>>9405034

Sounds like she's not read it.
>>
>>9405005
Tennis
>>
>>9405043
>>9405056
You're both right: it's about addiction, entertainment, and the connections between them in a post-modern society.
>>
>>9405065
it's about tennis dude
>>
>>9405069
:(
>>
What its like to be alive.

White guy problems.

Angsty teenagers living in a po-mo world.
>>
File: 1479281210936.png (10KB, 586x528px) Image search: [Google]
1479281210936.png
10KB, 586x528px
https://electricliterature.com/men-recommend-david-foster-wallace-to-me-7889a9dc6f03
>>
>>9405095
>For awhile, I was seeing a guy who really liked David Foster Wallace. He once forced me to do cocaine by shoving it inside me during sex.

kek. I actually like Electric Literature, their youtube channel has a ton of good stuff.
>>
i literally say its about "the pursue of hapinness in america"
>>
Should I buy this book? I am a European and I'm afraid I won't understand it.
>>
>>9405606
I'm a European and I enjoyed it.
>>
File: 1444926622431.jpg (117KB, 392x500px) Image search: [Google]
1444926622431.jpg
117KB, 392x500px
>>9405034
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.