[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a go to writing software that everyone uses? Or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: 1483549325230.jpg (46KB, 400x214px) Image search: [Google]
1483549325230.jpg
46KB, 400x214px
Is there a go to writing software that everyone uses? Or is word standard?
>>
>>9402908
>Word
>Doesn't use LibreOffice yet

kys
>>
most people find their own process, including their own preferences for software.

I plan and write a first draft with pen +paper...then use https://writeapp.co/ to write and edit my final draft
>>
>>9402908
It's called pencil and a notebook
>>
I ask because I wanted to make super lightweight writing software for people to use. What I have planned is essentially a text file manager that lets you export for web by auto generating html tags and other stuff. I don't really know the process from first draft to publisher though.

Most "___Office" software suites take a good 10 seconds to load which sucks.
>>
>>9402908
LaTeX, mah home skizzle bo dizzle
>>
I often use either nano or emacs on a text console when doing scribbles or notes or you know, anything not final.
No distracting fun software since I don't start anything graphical.

When I need to produce a pdf or something to print or give to someone, I use libreoffice.
>>
I prefer to handwrite but when that's not possible I use focuswriter.

I imagine choice of editor is down to personal preference. I prefer minimal editors that let me focus on writing, but others might enjoy the advanced features offered by other software.
>>
I just use google docs. That way, if my computer spites my work, docs will still have it safe and sound.
>>
Real writers use Vim
>>
>>9404127
Vim is horrible for anything lengthy.
>>
Just use notepad++ you fucking mongs
>>
>>9402961
Nobody cares how long it takes to load as long as it can generate files which are compatible with microsoft programs
>>
>>9402961
thats because those are all based of one old open office project that used java which is always slow as shit to load
>>
>>9402908

> not committing separate branches of your editted works in git, formatted with LaTeX
>>
Scrivener is my go to program. Everything is formated in a way that isn't overly complicated or overly simplistic.
>>
do you like to write with white text on a black page or black text on a white page?
>>
>>9404292
Writing, white on black.
Black on white for almost every everything else.
>>
What's a good program that doesn't take fucking ages to load and is pretty lightweight? And lets me write white on black page.
>>
>>9404319
Pages
>>
>>9404319
Vim.
>>
>>9404321
>>9404323
I wanted a software recommendation guys not a repeat of my parents's failed marriage.
>>
>>9404333
No, fuck you. Just use your hand and a small magnet to flip the bits on a hard disk like a big boy.
>>
>>9404319
FocusWriter if you want something actually designed with traditional writing in mind.
Vim otherwise.
>>
>>9404319
Notepad. Or some other simple text editor.
Although I wouldn't really call Notepad good...

If you want something similar to Word, you won't get anything lightweight.
But LibreOffice Writer warm starts pretty fast.
>>
File: mastering-cat-cover(2).jpg (78KB, 500x654px) Image search: [Google]
mastering-cat-cover(2).jpg
78KB, 500x654px
>>9404127
Real writers use cat.
>>
File: a.jpg (24KB, 364x344px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
24KB, 364x344px
>>9402908
>not dictating to a secretary
>>
>not carving your Opus on marble.

/lit/ is beyond salvation.
>>
Who here /focuswriter/?
>>
I write short stuff just fine in notepad and openoffice but scrivener is starting to feel more and more helpful for this novel as it goes on. So many subfolders/pages I can just flick between with different sorts of notes I can attach.
>>
If you're a genius like me all your work should be airgapped.
>>
>>9402908

>Word
>not carving letters onto the backs of beetles in your garden and trying to wrangle them into the right order

Fucking plebians.
>>
File: stallman.jpg (40KB, 350x465px) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
40KB, 350x465px
Embrace the power of GNU Emacs with org-mode.
>>
>>9406674
>not sneezing onto plates and sprinkling flour onto them, creating new symbols and shapes that communicate poetry in languages that haven't been invented yet

it's almost like you're a child.
>>
File: IMG_1665.jpg (119KB, 749x738px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1665.jpg
119KB, 749x738px
I use Word and it's fine.
It really doesn't matter what you use as long as you put words on paper/screen. That's the ultimate bottom line. I see these fags constantly putting themselves out $1200-2000 for a new apple MacBook because they thing they need that shit to make a novel. New hardware isn't going to do the work FOR you. I've worn out 3 laptops pounding out book after book in word and I can tell you it's fine. Either you'll do the work or you won't. Not everyone has the drive/gift to write and that's ok too. I stopped going to writers groups because I got tired of being surrounded by people who talk a big game but don't put in the work. There were a few that knocked out work and I'm still friends with them. We talk about pushing our work to market, our publishers, agents, and all those other people are still sitting in Starbucks with their 2 thousand dollar laptops staring at half of a rough draft chapter and thinking to themselves "this is hard"
>>
>>9402908
Use sublime text and them just copy and paste in word
>>
>>9406623
Me, as of today.
>>
Just use whatever text editor you have at hand. Plain utf-8 is the most usable filetype anyway.

Better yet, just use whatever the fuck is at hand, as long as you're writing.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.