[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chances are you've read more books than Plato, Aristotle,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: dante-alighieri.jpg (27KB, 245x321px) Image search: [Google]
dante-alighieri.jpg
27KB, 245x321px
Chances are you've read more books than Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas and Dante combined. Yet your contribution to society won't approach even 1/10,000 of theirs.

Doesn't this suggest that having read all the classics isn't reason to count yourself as superior to Joe Sixpack?
>>
I doubt I've read more than Dante or Aquinas
>>
>>9402284
They didn't have access to a nigh unlimited supply of literature in the way we do.

Even if you don't think it applies to them, it certainly does to the old Greeks. Very few people will have read less than Socrates.
>>
>>9402303
I imagine they read everything they could and I do not do that
>>
Just consuming a bunch of literature won't make you superior to anyone. It's more about what you take from and make of it. Quality over quantity and all that.
>>
>>9402261
the two answers you'll get are 'how do you define meaningful contribution' or 'i don't care if i contribute meaningfully to society'
>>
>>9402326
This

/thread
>>
>>9402326
>>9402463
I think that was the point.
>>
This does not include understanding, availability of books, and more importantly how much there is to offer. Back then they really knew fuck all so you just had to give a meh bit to seem superior.
>>
>>9402261
Plato is the historical example of "first post best post"
>>
>>9402326
Depth > breadth, 90% of books are shit and not worth your time.
>>
>population of entire greece in plato's time was probably like 5 million
>most of them weren't in the right places and positions to do shit, most people in the city-states were literally slaves
gee I wonder why it as relatively easy to make humongous contributions to society back then if you were in the position to do so
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.