[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

McCarthy revealed that he respects only authors who "deal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: cormac-mccarthy-4.jpg (32KB, 242x332px) Image search: [Google]
cormac-mccarthy-4.jpg
32KB, 242x332px
McCarthy revealed that he respects only authors who "deal with issues of life and death," citing Henry James and Marcel Proust as examples of writers who do not rate with him. "I don't understand them," he said. "To me, that's not literature. A lot of writers who are considered good I consider strange."

Do Proust and James not deal with issues of life and death? I don't exactly understand what he means.
>>
I only respect authors who deal with commas.
>>
>>9400526
what he's saying is that all the babies in their novels have on fatal flaw: being alive
>>
>>9400526
McCarthy writes about real men's subjects like blood and death and tortillas. Proust and James are a pair of pansies trying to look clever with semicolons and subordinate clauses and so on.
>>
hes a conservative edgelord who started writing because he didnt want to get a job

it doesnt mean anything
>>
I tried to read a Cormac McCarthy book and thought, Why doesn’t this cocksucker use quotation marks? I picked up another Cormac McCarthy book and saw that there were six or seven consecutive pages in Spanish. I didn’t know what it meant.
>>
>>9400584
If you can successfully avoid having a job, you've just superseded the pointless Sisyphean fate of life. If you really think having a job is meaningful, it just means you're a brainwashed subservient who's too stupid to see past arbitrary dogma. It's sad that people in our society are so brainwashed that they can't see that a job is just a pointless endeavor which distracts from doing things you could decide you want to do, because you don't need to worry about money.
>>
>>9400530
>>9400580

Deep
>>
>>9400526
He focuses on larger themes of being human. He doesnt care much for writing that may include an eighty page aside on what someone said once at a tea party.
>>
>>9400681
Only if you are rich
>>
>>9400923
I'm just pointing out the absurdity of saying that Mccarthy shouldn't be taken seriously because he doesn't have a job.
>>
>>9400663
Shut up ellroy
>>
>>9400526
basically means he's a pleb (as if his books weren't enough evidence on their own)
>>
>>9400896
>He focuses on larger themes of being human. He doesn't care much for writing that may include a large theme of being human.

K.
>>
>>9400663
If it makes you feel any better, McCarthy's Spanish is hilariously forced. He doesn't use it toward any benefit like someone who actually speaks the language would. Instead, he uses it as cutsie flair like someone who just learned some phrases in 101 would.
>>
>>9400526
Well his favorites are Dostoevsky, Melville and Faulkner. Compare them to the manners of Proust and James.
>>
It's nonsense, but writers often are. Nabokov hated Dostoevsky and Faulkner, Voltaire disliked Shakespeare, Proust and Joyce were indifferent to each other, Samuel Johnson hated Sterne, and so on.
>>
>>9401124
He's quoting James ellroy
>>
>>9400681
but it doesn't make you a good writer.
>>
File: partied.jpg (119KB, 800x660px) Image search: [Google]
partied.jpg
119KB, 800x660px
>>9400526

McCarthy, when he's talking about "life," is actually talking about people intensely agitated by something. Not the everyday. Basically, he's emotionally numb. This renders him incapable of reading or writing in a nuanced and humane way about social life and personal life like the writers he doesn't understand. It's a serious flaw in his writing, and it actually cuts him off from reaching the heights of Shakespeare. He's otherwise very skilled. But his novels will always smack of somebody being important. He only accidentally reaches something like genuine personal intimacy in The Road.
>>
>>9402592
I think you may have autism
>>
>>9402592
Excellent post
>>
>>9400681
holy shit my sides, did your mom just make you get your first job or something? lolll edgelord in the house
>>
>>9400526
I guess he didn't make it to volume three of ISoLT. The narrator makes it pretty damn clear that his grandma dies. How is that not dealing with death?
>>
Bloom says Blood Meridian is the best novel since As I Lay Dying
>>
>>9404768

As I Lay Dying is far superior because it's funny.
>>
That was honestly the plebbiest thing I've read this whole week and I can't believe it came from a renowned author like McCarthy.
>>
>>9400530
BTFO'D
>>
I think McCathy's going to turn to writing nonfiction soon. I don't think he was ever really suited to writing fiction. He's a philosopher or anthropologist who slouched or fell into fiction.
>>
>>9402592
>>9406420
This is why he's so good, it's powerful autistism
>>
it's clearly an issue of masculinity; proust's personal issues vs something like céline's issues - think of it like an american football fan with a madonna-whore complex and a howlin wolf fan with a whore-whore complex
>>
It might be a jealousy passed off as a dismissal.

I know if I was an author and i was great but I read others who came just before me who dealt with maybe similar subjects it'd be easy to be threatened by them and to dismiss them instead.

Of course like other people said, sometimes when you're really great you just plain hate others styles and even their personalities, (orson with woody)
>>
>>9400681

what the fuck are you going to grow to sustain your body by your trailer that you dont pay rent on mister welfare queen??

it better be weed or else you will sink financially and then ernest hemmingway yourself
>>
Proust is a sissy fuck

Writing 4000+ pages about remembering shit after he ate a piece of pansy cake that mommy made

Kill yourself you little dork
>>
>>9408128
THIS fuck proust or protest as I like to call him
>>
>>9408161
prolest*
>>
>>9408166
It's pronounced PROLE-st as in "prole" and not PROE-lest like "protest"
>>
>>9400526

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=80&v=TIQynsWpBpQ

he's based
>>
>>9400584

>insulting someone for being conservative and then criticizing them for not having a job

what is even the point of modern liberals? do you not understand your own ideology?
>>
>>9408673
No, he insulted him for being an edglord, just one of a conservative flavor.
Lrn2reed
>>
>>9400526
James certainly does, and I rate him far above mccormick
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.