[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished this book. Anyone wanna talk about it? Can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: CoG.jpg (430KB, 1000x446px) Image search: [Google]
CoG.jpg
430KB, 1000x446px
I just finished this book. Anyone wanna talk about it? Can't find any discussions elsewhere.
>>
>>9399142
Sure, tell us about it.
>>
meh

it's a fun read but it's all pretty surface level. what is left to discuss?
>>
I was gonna meet Paul Auster at a reading but I found out the day before I had a midterm at the same time so unfortunately I've never met him.
>>
>>9399243
Damn, this is the first of his I've read, but he seems like he's a blast to listen to.
>>
>>9399142
Paul Auster has an interesting relationship with Beckett which always made me consider the New York trilogy sort of an homage to Beckett's own trilogy. NYT is super intertextual while Beckett's is a little more independent? (not counting the Dante parts of it; and New York itself I've seen used to be the 'wood' that start's dante's little thing, you'll see this also in Gaddis)
>>
It's fine. Don't take it too seriously.
>>
>>9399173
>>9399152

Once again /lit/ has failed to read outside the memes.

I'll start then.

The New York Trilogy deals with three interlocking yet separate novels that you might describe as detective fiction, but they deal with themes of language, identity, and loss. Each story ends with an unsatisfying conclusion, not for the characters (as is typical of the noir) but for the reader, who slowly realizes that they have played the part of the detective all along.

I enjoyed the prose which I thought emulated stuff like Hammett and Chandler fairly well, and I liked the concepts presented in the book, and damn if it didn't scare me to death (especially the narrative in The Locked Room- the narrator's relationship to Fenshawe was so reminiscent of a relationship with a dear friend that I have that I began to have a Hofstadter moment of an Eternally rising loop), but the entirety of the novel left my head spinning in a lot of ways.
>>
File: 1487222788882.jpg (111KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
1487222788882.jpg
111KB, 570x760px
>>9399376
i read it. the first was half baked pomometafiction, the second an interesting but brittle prose poem, and the third a bad borges.

>the narrator's relationship to Fenshawe was so reminiscent of a relationship with a dear friend that I have that I began to have a Hofstadter moment of an Eternally rising loop
cringe. Fenshawe was a cardboard cutout
>>
>>9399459
Please elaborate. Your statement is so seemingly far off about every book that I almost have to assume your a troll. What about Fenshawe makes him a cardboard cutout? Of course, I must ask if you're speaking of the old Fenshawe or the new Fenshawe.
>>
was MGS2 based on City of Glass?
>>
>>9399911

>City of Glass

Try the whole trilogy.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.