[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is literary fiction a genre? https://www.youtube.com/watch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: Patrick-rothfuss.jpg (23KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
Patrick-rothfuss.jpg
23KB, 250x333px
Is literary fiction a genre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFI30pcv4sM
>>
when will he finish his story?
>>
>>9397152
No. There is a lot of shitty literary fiction though

Pop writers all seem to have delusions of reevaluation like they charley dickens or some ish
>>
>The Odyssey is fantasy
what the fuck
>>
>>9397152
sort of, but in a different way to Fantasy

genres like Fantasy and Sci Fi are defined generally by setting and plot, whereas Literary Fiction is defined by focus on craft and depth. i'd also say the latter supersedes the former, so a work with a fantastical setting which has beautiful prose and profound depth i would say comes under the Literary Fiction genre, not the Fantasy one

so literary fiction is more abstract of a genre than sci fi or fantasy, but still a genre in its way

also anyone who says The Odyssey is a fantasy work is an idiot
>>
Is genre fiction literary?
>>
>>9397385
Hopefully never.
>>
>>9397385
Winds of Winter and The Last Dangerous Visions will both be out before his table-balancer
>>
>>9397453
Have you ever seen sirens or a cyclops in the real world? Didn't think so!
>>
>when you can't give examples of good fantasy so you name literature with fantasy elements
Might as well have gone all the way and said one hundred years meme man.
>>
>>9397152
Obviously the difference is intent, and his examples are retarded. Fantasy serves pure entertainment and maybe some sociopolitical trite. Fucking Hamlet and Macbeth were meant to be mimesis on human behavior through the authors own insight and flourish. A work can have fantasy elements but primarily serve a much deeper intent.
>>
>>9397385
March 29:
>But I’m a mess. I’m such a mess. And I’m behind on everything. And the writing isn’t going well.

Source: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2017/03/fictional-conflict/
>>
>>9397152
/lit/tards BTFO. I've always claimed that fantasy fiction is the backdrop and precursor to all moral truths and lessons. /lit/tards would rather read about some unfalsifiable philosophical bullshit though
>>
>>9398776
>he's STILL writing it
hahaha holy shit this guy is a retard
>>
>>9398700

>literature with fantasy elements

so... fantasy?
>>
could you make the case for saying that stuff that is not genre fiction is still in a genre of its own?

like the /lit/ equivalent of slice-of-life books
>>
The problem is stupid people can't make the distinction between setting and genre. You can create a work of fiction set in a fantasy setting with any number of genres. Fantasy as a setting is something completely different from fantasy as a genre, one distinction being that fantasy genre novels are necessarily absolute garbage.
>>
I always thought (and still do) that non-fiction was a subgenre of fiction; because reality couldn't be a book.

Like the X-files is based on 'true stories/events' and so is the news. But the news claims it's true.

Fiction knows it's fiction and non-fiction also knows that but vows a vow of truth.

A..am I retarded, genius, normal or [insert your own]?
>>
>>9398884
you are a very average level of stupid
>>
>>9398884
You're not wrong per se, it just happens that non-fiction is literally all books that aren't fiction, so say, logic textbooks would be non-fiction.
>>
>>9398891
That's a relief. Still pretty usable.
>>9398907
Yes... I can see the problem there, calling to question the education system.
>Still could go spergmode about forewords, small errors, changing rules (in language teaching book) and of course: full Neo/gnostic/maya mode
Though that may scare the pussy away.
>>
/lit/ will hate this article but it isn't terrible

(not saying he's not a bit of a dilitante)

https://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/bkrev/coover-86.php
>>
>>9397152
Its ironic that such a hack as him thinks he can talk down to anyone.
>>
>>9398942
I don't understand how people can stomach writing like this.
>>
>>9397152
He's conflating fantasy meaning "imagined impossible or improbable things" with "a genre of imaginative fiction involving magic and adventure, especially in a setting other than the real world," and of course those things aren't the same at all. If you were to go to the type of conventions where Rothfuss is invited (or sffg for that matter) and respond to people asking for fantasy recommendations with The Odyssey, or Popol Vuh, or Pedro Paramo, or The Divine Comedy, you wouldn't be giving those people what they were looking for. Today's fantasy literary genre is about specific things, maybe that doesn't need to be the case, but that's how it is.

The books that he's referring to as "literary fiction" are indeed a genre, though I don't agree with his description of that genre. For instance, though Swann's Way is literally a guy drinking tea and contemplating his life, I don't think Proust is in the category he's trying to describe. But it's not 100% clear, because Rothfuss isn't very good at describing things. In any event, it's certainly true that a lot of stuff that gets sorted into the book store new fiction section is crap.
>>
>>9399217
I get what he's saying – there's an entire genre of literary fiction about disaffected or isolated younger men having slightly absurd experiences in an overly reflexive voice. Roughly 'this is like Hamsun's Hunger' – and boom, you've described a huge portion of literary fiction. What is that if not being a 'genre' defined by certain cliches?
>>
>>9399217

It's ironic because the "fantasy" genre is incredibly formulaic and unimaginative.
>>
>>9399233
Yeah, I get what he's saying too (and largely agree with that part). He just doesn't describe it well.
>>
>>9398877
This is an interesting distinction. And when I think about it it correlates pretty well with my experience with fantasy. Thanks for this insight
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.