[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /lit/. I am an American that hasn't read anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

Hello /lit/. I am an American that hasn't read anything other than internet articles and shitposts in years and I want to start my own library. What would you consider the top 5-10 essentials to get me started?

I'm mainly looking for books that are the cream of the crop I guess and fairly easy/cheap to get.

Thanks.
>>
Here you go: http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

Ignore the Reader's list, it's been compromised. Also don't start with Ulysses until you've read a good chunk of the other books.

But desu you didn't define what kind of books you were looking for, since you didn't specify fiction or non fiction, or poetry or prose, etc etc.
>>
>>9395786
Thanks man. Well I don't mind the type since I expect that I'll like and hate some in every category. My goal was basically to get some books that would get the ball rolling for me.
>>
>>9395791
ok most of those are fine to start with but do not read ulysses or finnegans wake.
>>
>>9395776
Often times the cream of the crop doesn't intersect with the best books for new readers, but there are some exceptions. Also all books are cheap/easy to get if you find a good second hand bookstore. New copies of bestsellers published this year are expensive tho.

Also the hardest thing about being a new reader is not knowing your individual tastes. What this means as that you follow recommendations from people you'll find yourself reading books everyone says are amazing that you can't stand. This is normal. If you aren't enjoying something drop it and move onto something that will be worth your time, no matter how much everyone calls it a masterpiece.

Personally I think the best places to start are Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse 5) and Douglas Adams (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)
>>
>>9395776
>in years
What did you used to read?
>>
I don't want to start a new thread, can you suggest me some books, too?
I have a problem though. I cannot read for long and fall asleep. It is because of my eyes. The letters go inside each other and it makes my eyes hurt. Sometimes I feel I am going to cry.
I really like reading books. I haven't read any books in 2 years.
Here is the list of books I have read.(I could have forgotten some.)

A Song of Ice and Fire series
The Double by Dostoyevsky
Siddhartha
and many others that I cannot remember... I usually can't remember things.
>>
>>9396275
>Siddhartha
You mean the book by Herman Hesse? There have been a number of publications by that name.
>>
>>9395791
But what do you enjoy in vidya and in movies. What do you like.

Read what you are "supposed to" doesnt help if its not what you like
>>
File: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
Start_with_the_greeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
This should help you friendo. I advise you complete it within 6 months otherwise your case of plebitis will become terminal, and you'll start participating in John Green shitposts.
>>
File: 1445716929351.jpg (189KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1445716929351.jpg
189KB, 1462x1462px
>>9396349
>complete works of aristotle
>>
File: 1489097131294.jpg (118KB, 483x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489097131294.jpg
118KB, 483x960px
Pic related is a decent chart if you want to get into "serious literature".

>>9396349
haha epic meems and so on
>>
>>9396357
What did you mean by this?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.